S&W Kings Pattern Dinner Fork

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

S&W Kings Pattern Dinner Fork

Post by legrandmogol »

I am fairly confident that his piece is American and coin silver but I could be wrong. I am unsure who the maker is or if it is American at all. I have seen the mark described as Philadelphia Silversmiths Anthony Simmons & Samuel Williamson who worked together in 1797 - 1798 but this seems very unlikely as this would be far too early for an American Kings Pattern fork. The fork strikes me as mid 19th century American but the fork measures about 8.5" long which makes this fork longer than most American forks of the era.

wev
contributor

Re: S&W Kings Pattern Dinner Fork

Post by wev »

Sunderlin (Lewis) & Weaver (Devalson), Rochester c 1865
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thank you for the quick response. Do you have a source for that? From what I can tell Sunderlin & Weaver were merely retailers and I can't find any reference for them using just an S&W. I only see them using their entire name.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I have seen the mark with and without wholesale marks. Winterthur has several pieces such.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I could only find 1 spoon in the Winterthur online collection for Sunderland & Weaver and it looked a few decades older the 1867 but 1867 still makes more sense than 1798 so, for now, that is what I'll go with. Still, if it is Sunderland & Weaver, I think they still would only have retailed it as they were both jewelry manufacturers and not silversmiths. The piece has no other marks though so I guess that's where it ends.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”