LC Bailey Silver Spoon- Coin Silver?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kerrberry77

LC Bailey Silver Spoon- Coin Silver?

Post by kerrberry77 »

Hello,
I've been helping my Aunt ID her old spoons, and one is a large Fiddle pattern spoon marked LC Bailey. We learned that this silversmith operated from 1850 to 1870, in Calais, Maine. The only mark is LC Bailey. I'm curious if others think this is Coin Silver? Is there a way to be sure? Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Kerrie

wev
contributor

Re: LC Bailey Silver Spoon- Coin Silver?

Post by wev »

More than likely; standard shop wares of the period. There are various tests available to be conclusive, but would probably cost more than the spoon is worth.
kerrberry77

Post by kerrberry77 »

I appreciate your insight, thank you!
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I can offer some advice that may help. If it is plated rather than solid silver, it will not be bendy or springy but rather stiff. Also, the piece will almost certainly have lost plating in places that get the most wear such as the bottom of the bowl, the tip of the bowl and the edges. The under metal will be a white metal but it will look different than the rest of the spoon. the base metal will be grey and dull compared to the silver. This piece looks old enough and used enough that by now if it plated it will have started to reveal the base metal underneath.
kerrberry77

Post by kerrberry77 »

That is very helpful, thank you!

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”