Help identifying a silver mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Mperry

Help identifying a silver mark

Post by Mperry »

Good evening

Does anyone recognise these marks please? The middle one looks similar to a Maison Commune mark for 1787 Paris. Although I don't think it is French, possibly Dutch, Flemish ? Would be grateful for any help you can offer.

Many thanks
Mperry

Re: Help identifying a silver mark

Post by Mperry »

Hello,

I have just been told it is Dutch but that's as far as we got, not totally convinced he knew what he was talking about but hey..maybe.

I think it is pretty old though, just had a look at the Netherlands section in Tardy and found some marks that are similar. Assay office for Zutphen looks a bit like the mark on the right in the picture, although our mark appears to be in a shield rather than the oval from the book. I have also seen an old 17th century city mark for Breda which looks similar to the first mark on the left.

The search continues.......
Mperry

Post by Mperry »

Hi,

Looking through your website I now don't think it is Dutch, none of the marks I can find look similar at all. Ah well back to the drawing board...
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

You are right not Dutch.
For Dutch (hall)marks and town marks prior 1814 see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
My best guess these are pseudo/fake marks.

Peter.
Mperry

Post by Mperry »

Thank you for your reply oel, yes the water is definitely getting murkier. How would I even get started trying to research pseudos as I am not even sure which country its was manufactured in. To me, without the marks it does actually look similar to other objects I have seen manufactured in the Netherlands. The decoration includes flowers and a rural scene like other Dutch objects I have seen before. Not that i'm an expert, far from it but it does look similar is all I am saying.

I will take a picture of the decoration so you see what I am referring to. I will try to provide it for you later today.

Thanks again for looking at the picture.

All the best
Mperry

Post by Mperry »

Hi,

I have been able to take some quick pics of the object for you. The first picture is one of the supports and the second is from the top. I assume you are right about it not being Dutch as you clearly would know far more than I. The jeweller I spoke to yesterday said it was from Holland but as I said I wasn't convinced he actually knew what he was talking about. Although I do perhaps see what he means, does the decoration look Dutch to you? Let me know what you think.

Many thanks

Mperry

Post by Mperry »

Me again,

Maybe Germany - J.Kurz & Co. ???

The contributor Qrt.S posted a response to a member on the topic "Need help identifying a pair of fighting roosters" by srh11293 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:25 pm

He posts a picture of the marks on one of the roosters that looks similar to our mark on the far left of the first picture I provided.

What do you think ?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The arrows and quivers and love birds sitting on top of the quivers, various symbols to symbolize life, true love unites us.
Probably Hanau style silver jewelry box with pseudo marks. Not sure made by J. Kurz & Co but possible.

Peter.
Mperry

Post by Mperry »

Peter you are very kind replying to me as quickly as you do, I realise its voluntary so thank you.

After reading a little more I think you are right about it being Hanau silver, although you write "Hanau style". Do you mean it is unlikely to be made by a Hanau silversmith, or do you write that because it can't be confirmed yet?

I also took it to a bullion dealer this morning, they tested it for me and confirmed it is 930/1000 silver. Not sure if this makes a difference to where it was made or by whom but I thought it worth checking as I was originally told it was Dutch! and it could of been made from tin!

Anyway thanks again Peter. I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything further.

Matthew

The search continues....

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”