French Export Silver JM Mark with Two Stars

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zafer

French Export Silver JM Mark with Two Stars

Post by zafer »

I cannot identify the maker of this mark. It consists of the initials "JM" below a line and two stars above that line in a diamond shape. There are also two column-like supports on either side of the monogram which connect to the line. It makes it look like the cross-section of something. Anyways, the bar, two stars, and J.M. are identifiable but the other shapes on either side aren't clear to me.

I found a few mentions to the JM mark in France on the forum but all posts had broken images, so I wasn't sure if this was explained before or not.
JayT
contributor

Re: French Export Silver JM Mark with Two Stars

Post by JayT »

Hello
Your object was made by Joseph Alexandre Martel, a manufacturing silversmith, working in Paris at 41 rue Beaubourg. He registered his mark twice, on 8 July and 20 October 1888, erased on 30 April 1914. His mark was initials JM, two hammers (deux marteaux) with 2 stars above. The hammers are a mnemonic device for his name, Martel/marteau.

See the French Ministry of Culture website for Paris marks registered after 1878.

http://www2.culture.gouv.fr/public/mistral/marque_fr?

Hope this helps.
zafer

Post by zafer »

Incredible yes that's exactly it! This website you shared seems very useful for the future. Thank you!
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure.

Return to “French Silver”