Another Frisian Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

Another Frisian Spoon

Post by legrandmogol »

I can't find this mark anywhere. It looks like J.O but not 100% on that. Any help would be much appreciated.

oel
co-admin

Re: Another Frisian Spoon

Post by oel »

Frisian ornamental spoon the handle of which terminate in the symbolic representation of Wisdom; woman looking in mirror, her right hand holding a mirror. "Inspice et cautus eris" or "Watch out and be on your guard" Self-knowledge not to act hastily as one of the aspects of Wisdom.
The mark on the rat tail is a later duty mark with the letter V for vreemd or foreign, used 1814-1893.

Peter
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thanks Peter, I couldnt' find it in my book but sometimes it takes a second pair of eyes
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The maker's mark is a horn seen with or without crown for: Tobias van Velsen, registered in Bolsward 1698-1751. Frisian ornamental spoon, maker's mark only, silver fineness circa 780/1000. Most of those so called Frisian ornamental spoon weigh around 50 gram.

Peter.

Gratitude; Jan Schipper http://zilverstudie.nl/
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thank you so much Peter, I would never have figured that out. It doesn't look like the example in Elias Voet's book but it does match up with other examples online. As the mark on my spoon is not fully struck it was even harder to figure out though. Again, thank you so much!
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Same spoon made by Tobias van Velsen in OKS - Ottema-Kingma Stichting - Collectie

https://www.oks.nl/collection-detail/3908no-03749

Maker's mark of Tobias van Velsen, Bolsward 1698-1751 seen on a brandy bowl, made early 18th century.

Source; Peter Schoen Tussen hamer en aambeeld, Edelsmeden in Friesland tijdens de gouden eeuw.

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”