DEATH OF EDWARD HAASE
Well Known Southern Traveler Passes Away in a St. Louis Hospital
St. Louis, Mo., July 12.—Edward Haase, 39 years old, southern traveler for R. Wallace & Sons Mfg. Co., Wallingford, Conn., died Saturday at the Deaconess Hospital, from the indirect effects of an injury he received Jan. 17, 1916, when he slipped on the floor of a hotel at Birmingham, Ala., and fractured his kneecap. The injury healed imperfectly and the knee was left in such a weakened condition that efforts to use it resulted in it being broken four times after that. A nerve disease developed. About four months ago a critical operation was performed, from which paralysis resulted and since that he had been entirely helpless. His mind, however, remained clear to the end. Mr. Haase was unmarried and when not on the road made his home with his mother, Mrs. Matilda Haase of 3213 Eads Ave. He was born at Mascoutah, Ill., but had lived most of his life in this city.
His first position in mercantile life was with the A. J. Jordan Cutlery Co., here, where he was employed by A. Maschmeyer, now president of the Maschmeyer-Richards Silver Co. When Mr. Maschmeyer went with the Wallace firm he took Haase with him and when Mr. Maschmeyer returned to St. Louis to go into business for himself Mr. Haase remained with the Wallace firm. He had been with the Wallace firm about 12 years and was widely known and highly regarded.
He was a member of the Southern Jewelry Travelers' Association and a short time before his death the association sent $10 to William Haase, a brother, with a request that it be used to purchase flowers for the sick room, as an expression of the members' sympathy. The invalid died before the request had been complied with and the money was used to buy a floral piece, in the name of the association, for the funeral.
The body was cremated, in accordance with Haase's request. Six nephews were pallbearers. Haase had expressed a wish that his ashes be scattered on the waters of Silver Creek, near Mascoutah, where he had played as a boy, but his relatives decided to bury them in the family cemetery lot.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 18th July 1917