Sturm Clover-form Tray

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Sturm Clover-form Tray

Post by Traintime »

Vienna Silberwarenfabrik Alexander Sturm. Tukankopfpunze (W4 Toucan...1925-72). Feingehalt 800/.800 Silver. We may all meet in the great "buy and buy", but I'm passing the plate now for contributions of the aesthetic kind concerning the possible orgin. Note not single panels nor dual panels repeating, but four quarters each having left, right, and middle panels forming leaves...all conjoined at the compass points to resemble the clover mark of the firm itself. Is this Hoffman's work? Any other insights? Era? TIA

AG2012
contributor

Re: Sturm Clover-form Tray

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Impossible to attribute to Hoffman, although similar.
Wiener Werkstatte had their own additional mark and JH for Josef Hoffmann.

Vienna was a leader in modern design at the time (e.g. the idea for Zippo lighters).
Regards
Traintime
contributor

Re: Sturm Clover-form Tray

Post by Traintime »

While I did locate another clover form tray in the same mark period, the four leaves were not connected together beyond the center. Looking at additional works from the firm, I notice that the inter-panel ridges on this differ...that is, those forming the leaves are convex to the face while those connecting the leaves together at the compass points are concave. I don't know if this required an extra form or working the silver sheet from the opposite side, but it seems additional work not found in other wares. And then your mention of the lighters gave me an idea....yes, a standard cigarette fits those four creases and balances such that the smoldering tip would be just away from the metal. So maybe not a bowl but an ashtray for four. And the firm did work in other smoking related items.

Return to “Other Countries”