Snuff box identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Biju

Snuff box identification

Post by Biju »

Any thoughts on maker and time period on this snuff box? Thanks.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Snuff box identification

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Millesimal fineness .900, meaning very late 19th century or 2oth century.
Lack of complex marking systems can eliminate several countries e.g. Britain, France.
Lack of characteristic official state marks can eliminate many countries i.e. Spain, Netherlands,Austria.
Likely Germany or Italy and rather newer production.
Unless similar item with the same maker`s mark is found with more specific marks, country of origin would be impossible to identify.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I would say from the style of marking this is likely of Greek origin.

Trev.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Somehow the appearance of the dancing couple (dresses etc.) reminds me of Hungary or thereabouts. The watchers on the other hand wear 18th century Western European clothing. Of course this doesn't necessarily tell where the item was made and it's definitely not from the 18th century.
Biju

Post by Biju »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Millesimal fineness .900, meaning very late 19th century or 2oth century.
Lack of complex marking systems can eliminate several countries e.g. Britain, France.
Lack of characteristic official state marks can eliminate many countries i.e. Spain, Netherlands,Austria.
Likely Germany or Italy and rather newer production.
Unless similar item with the same maker`s mark is found with more specific marks, country of origin would be impossible to identify.
Regards
You mentioned “.900”, but I see “800” in the marking. Am I looking at this wrong?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Not much difference 800 or 900.
Higher percentage of silver has better casting properties with lost wax technique, but for enamelling there is no difference, really.
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

It seems to me that they are dancing the tarantella
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Yes, that's the dance and as I suggested above, most likely Italy.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi members
The painting on the box does not look like enamel to me, it looks like a glued on print. Maybe better images may help.
regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Sometimes the enamel was not applied directly to the box but painted on a separate sheet of silver, fired and then attached to the box.
Anyway,it can be easily tested with the tip of a needle.As enamel is actually molten glass the needle cannot scratch it, so, no harm done.
Under 10X magnification one can easily distinguish brush strokes in hand painted enamel from dots in transfer printing.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
I have not heard of that method applying a finished enamel section on to a case like this,because of the stress on the enamel base during firing if the base is to thin,and then risking some more damage to the enamel attaching it to the case(by what method soldering or some sort of adhesive )causing more problems, it would not make sense to me to do it that way.
As you say looking at it with an eye glass will give you the answer .

As I said it looks like a watercolour on paper to me or a print of the painting.
Regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Actually have seen really very few examples of applied plaques and they were riveted because as you say soldering would damage enamel.
Regards

Return to “Other Countries”