Birmingham maker RR - 1929 (??)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
T1nT1n

Birmingham maker RR - 1929 (??)

Post by T1nT1n »

I am having trouble isolating the silversmith for a loop spoon and pusher. RR has reference to Richard Richardson - Richard Rew - Richard Rugg - Richard Rutland but I can't see if any of these had links to Birmingham. I can see RR in a rectangle - anchor (Birmingham) - lion (silver) - E (?1929).Is some able to assist you the maker actually is and confirm the year as being correct. Thanks.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Birmingham maker RR - 1929 (??)

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please post larger images.

Trev.
T1nT1n

Post by T1nT1n »

Is this big enough to see - the RR is in a rectangle with no dots or dashes. Just the letters.
T1nT1n

Post by T1nT1n »

Sorry - just noticed I said Richard when I meant Robert Rutland. It is the Birmingham that is throwing me. Who knows the RR linked with Birmingham?
T1nT1n

Post by T1nT1n »

Must mention this is my first post on the forum so apologies for the repeated entries. Thanks for the welcome Trev. If any of the above ‘RR’ names can be eliminated that would also be of great help as it just seems a rectangle and plain initials are reasonably common. Looking forward to hearing from anyone who may have an idea who this Birmingham RR is.

Thanks so much - Grid
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I can confirm that the assay year is 1929/30 and that we can definitely rule out Richard Rew, Richard Rugg and Robert Rutland who were all London-based and working at a completely different time.

There is no published evidence that the Sheffield manufacturer Richard Richardson used the Birmingham Assay Office but a so-far unidentified RR mark has been noted with Birmingham hallmarks dating from the 1890s until the 1930s. These dates coincide with Richardson's Sheffield dates so he is certainly a possibility.

Phil
T1nT1n

Post by T1nT1n »

Thanks so much Phil - hugely helpful. Will assume it is Richard Richardson then for now. Regards Grid

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”