JC? or IC? need some quick help...

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rynegold

JC? or IC? need some quick help...

Post by rynegold »

So these were listed as pieces by the American silversmith "Jonathan Clarke" The owner thinks these initials are "JC" but as you can see, there's not much "J" there; to me it looks like an "I" perhaps but I have to admit; it's thicker to the bottom left like a J would be. Having several stamps of my own, I'm well aware of worn/damaged stamps w/broken out "parts". Often the thinnest parts break out/off first; like the leg of a J. Would you concur with their attribution? And if not, then who could this be? I don't find a resource our site here for early American smith's maker's marks, like pre 1800 so if I've missed it somehow, post me a link! I see a similar mark for John Coburn but the cartouche shape is squarish and tooth edged. I've found nothing for Clarke, here or otherwise. They are nice little spoons though! I of course, envision having tea with these...

Any help appreciated.
Regards, mitch

Aguest
contributor

Re: JC? or IC? need some quick help...

Post by Aguest »

These do look like spoons from 1780-1800, modeled after a popular spoon pattern in England at the time. Interestingly, if a silversmith's initials were "JC" during the time period of 1780-1800, he would often stamp his initials "IC" on his spoons. The letter "J" was really used after 1800. I think this has something to do with the transition between Ancient Latin and Old English and New English.

The story sounds plausible, but I am not an expert in the area of American Colonial Silver Spoons, so perhaps another will chime in.
rynegold

Post by rynegold »

Thanks Aguest! I'd never heard that but there's lots I've never heard! ;-)
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

John Chalmers circa 1770 Annapolis, MD. He was the son of James Chalmers also a silversmith.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Agman

Post by Agman »

That doesn’t match any of the known marks for Chalmers. Unfortunately, there were many 18th-century American Silversmiths with the initials IC, since the I could stand for James or John or Jacob or Joseph or Isaac or… you get the idea.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

It is hard from a drawn mark at times to 100% confirm but worth a try.....
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Forgot to add the source was: Early American Silvermarks by James Graham Jnr. 1936

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”