"H.M.S. & CO" Silverplate Teaspoon ID Help Please

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
R4RJB

"H.M.S. & CO" Silverplate Teaspoon ID Help Please

Post by R4RJB »

I found a very corroded silverplate teaspoon while metal detecting yesterday. It has a plain and basic design. I struggled to read the makers mark but after a lot of fine cleaning it is now readable as "H.M.S. & CO". There is a crescent shape containing "BEST QUALITY". I have made a composite of the marks using an endoscope.

I have looked on various ID websites, including this one, but without success. Unfortunately, searching with H.M.S. mainly returns naval links. I know the item has no value but I would greatly appreciate any help in determining the manufacturer.

Regards,

Richard

dognose
Site Admin

Re: "H.M.S. & CO" Silverplate Teaspoon ID Help Please

Post by dognose »

Hi Richard,

It's worth bearing in mind that many of the marks applied to silver plated items are those of a retailer, rather than that of the actual manufacturer. This was done so that the retailer got the repeat business as the final customer built up their canteens, and also as a permanent form of advertising.

Many manufacturers were happy to have the retailers mark only applied to their products, if the order was large enough.

Trev.
R4RJB

Re: "H.M.S. & CO" Silverplate Teaspoon ID Help Please

Post by R4RJB »

Hi Trev,
Thanks for your input. I did find a company with the same initials - Herbert M Slater (1853) Ltd. They describe themselves as "Sheffield's finest manufacturer of knives, scrapers, forks, saws and scissors". I thought that, if anyone was familiar with the marks, they would be. I sent them an email which they kindly replied to but they didn't recognise it. I'll go along with your suggestion that it is probably a dealer's mark.
Regards,
Richard

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”