Whiting Mfg. Co. without trademark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
needy

Whiting Mfg. Co. without trademark?

Post by needy »

Has anyone ever seen a Whiting Mfg. Co. item that was not marked with sterling trademark?

silverly

Re: Whiting Mfg. Co. without trademark?

Post by silverly »

I cannot give you a direct answer to your question. But I can say that Whiting Manufacturing Company was making silverplate wares about the time this tray was probably produced. Their well known trademark was used on coin and sterling

silverly

Post by silverly »

Sorry meant to select preview at this point. Anyway, the illustrated trademark was claimed to have been first used in commerce in 1868, so I would expect it to be on this tray if it were solid silver because James E Hedges was a partner in the firm of Hedges, Powers and Co and the firm dissolved in 1871. So I would take this tray to be a parting gift from the newly formed Powers, Gaston & Co. Both companies dealt in boots and shoes.

The only sure way to know what the silver quality of your tray is would be to have it tested.
needy

Post by needy »

Thank you for this information. Could you tell me where Powers, Gascon and Co. was located. When I search I just get Alabama Power and Gascon co. I got this tray for the step children whose surname is Hedges and am trying to find out as much info as possible.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Your welcome and Powers, Gaston & Co was in New York City.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I am having a difficult time finding examples of Whiting Silver Plate Hallmarks ::: If you do get this piece tested as to silver content, would you let us know? Thanks, I'm just wondering what a piece of Whiting silver plate hallmarks would look like, and if this is an example of a piece of Whiting silver plate :::
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I also can find no evidence of Whiting making silver plate. I'm not disputing that they did but it definitely something I would like to know more about.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Personally, can't recall seeing a piece of Whiting Mfg. silverplate, have always known them as a 'solid silver only' manufacturer, and they advertised themselves as such in the 1890s. Don't believe I've even seen any coin silver bearing Whiting Mfg. marks, though certainly have seen coin with earlier Tifft & Whiting marks - but have seen quite a few Whiting flatware patterns with only 'Sterling' marks. The firm under the Whiting Manufacturing Co. name was formed in 1866, and the 'W/chimera' mark was trademarked with the notation of first use in 1868, so if true, it leaves a gap after the founding - perhaps this is a mark from that small window (if one assumes that the 'W/chimera' was the the only one used from 1868). Feel like I've seen this mark before, but just can't seem to find it in my now often disorganized and overloaded brain...

~Cheryl

1891:
silverly

Post by silverly »

For what it's worth, I've only come across one source that showed Whiting Manufacturing Company produced silver plated wares and that was in the 1870 Bristol County, Massachusetts Directory. So of course that's relying on the accuracy of the directory. Whiting coin pieces again with their 1868 trademark can be found on the internet.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Excerpt from the 1870 Bristol County Directory, cited by Silverly:

And a 2014 post on a Whiting coin spoon with their 'W/chimera' mark (as already mentioned, my brain is disorganized of late, and my memory just as bad as my eyesight): http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36748

~Cheryl
needy

Post by needy »

Thank everyone on the forum for their input. I am not an expert testing silver my efforts with my nitric when comparing platter with known 900 silver plater and 925 sterling butter dish lean toward coin (900). Very hard to tell difference with out needle metered machine test.
My original thought with the low number of 0121 was an early example of Whiting. I know the 14 is common for 14 in. platters and I thought the 1 may or may not mean a 1 off of item Factory made for company or individual.
At this time I am at least confident it is an early piece. I have found this info in the 1864-66 New York city directory:
Hedges James E. boots 27 Murray, h 113 Leroy
Hedges,Powers & Co. boots 27 Murray & 31 Warren
James E. Hedges & Stephen H. Powers 27 Murray & Warren 1864
needy

Post by needy »

Interesting is that if this was made 1871 It was not made in N.Y. but in Mass.
The factory, located in North Attleboro, Massachusetts, was destroyed by a fire in 1875. What was salvaged by the ruins was acquired by F, Jones and the production transferred to New York combining its manufacturing operations and offices into one building at 692-694 Broadway at Fourth Street.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Wow, that is really great information to know. If I saw that for sale somewhere I would have assumed it was silver because of the whiting name alone. I now know better.
silverly

Post by silverly »

William Gaston was the bookkeeper in the Hedges, Powers & Co, so it seems reasonable the his is the second name in Powers, Gaston & Co.
needy

Post by needy »

Need to move this to the silverplate forum. Had checked by jeweler and was told very heavy silverplate.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi needy,

I'm disappointed for you, but hat's off to silverly for a great call. I think we've all learnt something from this thread.

I've moved the topic.

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

So, in summation, I assume at this point we are concluding this mark only is c.1866-c.1875, destroyed in fire and not recovered for any further useage?
It may be plate, but it's worth its' weight in coin or sterling for the historical information that it establishes! Thanks for submitting it and the fine photography.
needy

Post by needy »

Thank everyone for their input. Not too disappointed we actually bought this as silverplated. We were interested in the Hedges connection. Been searching for something american made with this connection, their was a Daniel Hedges circa 1830 (Silversmith).
Now all we have to do is figure out a way to divide between my wives two sons.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”