Colonial Jug With Perhaps Scottish Connection?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Colonial Jug With Perhaps Scottish Connection?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I've been sent some images of a perhaps colonial jug with a Scottish style engraved crest:

The jug weighs 99.8g and it stands 80mm tall, base diameter 40mm.

It is struck with a lower case 'b', Leopard's Head uncrowned, what is likely a Leopard's Head crowned, and what is likely a Lion Passant. What is likely the maker's mark, in the centre, is, unfortunately, unreadable. The marks were heavily struck and the impressions from the inside can be seen in the bottom two images.

Has anyone any thoughts on this item? All comments appreciated.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Colonial Jug With Perhaps Scottish Connection?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Scottish connection indeed:
Most probably Clan Moncrieffe.
Moncrieffe Clan Crest: A demi lion rampant
Motto: Sur Esperance (Upon hope)

Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi AG2012,

Thank you for the information on the crest and motto.

Trev.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Hi, just a thought but have you considered that it could be a piece 18th-century Chinese Export? I am by no means an expert on the subject but I believe Scottland was a large and early importer exporter of Chinese goods. From what I have read many of the early pieces of Chinese export silver were as near copies as they could make of European pieces.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi legrandmogol,

Thank you for your thoughts. I suppose anything is possible, although I doubt this may have been a direct import considering the penalties that would be brought to bear on anyone attempting to sell such an item marked in this way in Great Britain. Buying such a piece in China? Well, that is much more likely to me.

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Could it be from India? I have seen many pieces from India which were very similar to the forms of English silver, they were very good at making objects almost identical to English silver, so why not make the hallmarks almost identical to English silver as well?

The "Leopard Head" looks more like a "Tiger Head" to me, so could that also suggest an India connection since tigers are indigenous to India?

Those tiny circular "scuff marks" in the interior of the cup, could they perhaps be traced to a construction method from India, for instance I know they filled objects with resin and then constructed the hollowware around the resin, so perhaps could those marks be a clue?

Is there some reason which would completely rule India out as a possible candidate?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Aguest,

Thanks for your thoughts. Indeed India is another possibility as the country of origin.

Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Trev. Has that base with the marks been inset or am I just seeing solder marks from the application of the rim?

Paul.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Paul,

I'm really not sure. The images were sent to me for an opinion and I wasn't sure what to make of them, that is why I put it to the forum. I suppose it depends on the method of construction, either the rim, or the base, must have been made separately.

Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”