Another one of the early silverware concerns that was included in the International Silver Co. was the Middletown Plate Co., of Middletown, Conn. This business was first started in 1864 by Edward Payne and Henry Bullard, formerly in the employ of I. C. Lewis, of Meriden, Conn., one of the founders of the Meriden Brittannia Co. Payne and Bullard formed a partnership, doing business in the name of the former, in the manufacture of Britannia and plated wares, on Hubbard St., Middletown.
In 1866 Edward Payne, Elmore Penfield, Embree Bullard (Henry Bullard, attorney) began doing business as the Middletown Plate Co., a joint stock corporation with a capital of $20,000, which in 1884 was increased to $250,000. Messrs. Payne, Penfield and Embree Bullard were chosen directors. Penfield was elected president, Payne treasurer, and Henry Bullard secretary. Penfield severed his connections with the company in 1875, selling his interest to Edward Payne, trustee for the company. George H. Hulbert, who became associated with the company in 1866, represented the concern in the market, as did also Edward Payne. Bullard devoted his time to the manufacturing end.
In 1867 the company opened a showroom at 13 John St., New York, with J. Wesley Johnson as representative. In 1871 James H. Kelsey, who had been an employe of the company since 1869, was elected secretary. In this same year John G. Rich, of Hartford, was employed as the company's representative, continuing in that capacity until the end of the company's corporate existence, when he went to the Derby Silver Co. branch (Factory "B") of the International Silver Co., remaining there until 1918, and now resides at Auburn, N. Y.
In 1874 Henry Bullard was elected superintendent, which position he most capably filled until he severed his connection with the company in 1886. George H. Hulbert was elected president in 1874, and in 1875 Thomas H. B. Davis, who had represented Rogers, Smith & Co. in the market, became associated with the Middletown Plate Co. and was elected vice-president. In 1891 Joel R. Boice, who had been employed by Simpson, Hall, Miller & Co., of Wallingford, became superintendent. Later he was employed by the Wilcox Silver Plate Co. (Factory "N") and by the Meriden Brittannia Co. (Factory "E"), plants of the International Silver Co.
Among the traveling men employed by the Middletown Silver Plate Co.. who were well known in the silver trade some years ago, were: Edward A. Phelps, San Francisco; Fred Livermore, Chicago; Chester Shepard, Jr., James F. Barclay, Mt. Vernon, N. Y.; Charles Klett, Samuel Clapp and J. F. Teichner, Detroit; Fisk Brainerd and C. S. Griswold.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 5th February 1919