Reed & Barton, 1869 - Reed & Barton Corporation, 1919
The business of Reed & Barton was established in 1824 by Isaac Babbitt and William Crossman, both jewelers, for the manufacture of Britannia ware, and the firm was known as Babbitt & Crossman. The business changed hands a number of times until 1835, when Henry G. Reed and Charles E. Barton, both working in the factory, became the owners and the firm became known as Reed & Barton, which name has continued without change with the exception of the years 1837 to 1847, when the style of the firm name was Leonard, Reed & Barton. Mr. Barton died in the year 1867, and his interests in the business were purchased by Mr. Reed. Mr. Reed died in 1901 at the ripe age of 91 years, but the business is still carried on and controlled by his immediate family.
The plant occupies an area of land at Taunton, Mass., comprising about 13 acres and about seven acres of floor space. There are about 600 persons in the employ of Reed & Barton at the present time many of whom are descendants of those who were in the employ of the firm in the first years of its existence.
In 1848 a department was installed for electro-plating and soon after the firm began the manufacture of spoons, forks and serving pieces. In 1889 was begun the manufacture of sterling silverware.
The product of Reed & Barton today embraces a great variety of articles in gold, sterling silver, silver plate and pewter, as well as cast and wrought bronze of every description.
The firm maintains sales offices at the factory in Taunton, and Boston, Mass., also in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Dallas. Its traveling salesmen make regular trips throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico. Central America, as well as South America, South Africa and Australia, Cuba and the West Indies.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 5th February 1919