Antique Spanish silver box. Cordoba?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

Antique Spanish silver box. Cordoba?

Post by joho »

Hi. Can anyone help me find when and where this box was made.It is a quite heavy box (120 grams) and measures 8.5cm x 6.5cm x 1.1cm, probably for tobacco or snuff. The exterior is attractively engraved. The interior is gilded and has the following inscription: " George Hickman,Royal Reg. of Horse Guards, Blues, Logrono, Spain 1813" (presumably during the Peninsular Wars). There are 3 marks on the one side: 1) A above ?STRIA 2) rampant lion facing right 3) ?RAN? below a device. From my limited resources I think this might indicate Cordoba. There is a zig zag assay scrape on the other side. Any help would be great. Thanks John

Waylander
co-admin

Re: Antique Spanish silver box. Cordoba?

Post by Waylander »

Not much help, but I'd agree with Cordoba as the place of assay - need to wait for one of the Spanish forum members to add their two cents.

Waylander
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Thanks Waylander - lets hope the Spanish experts can enlighten us further.
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Efectivamente, se trata de la ciudad de Córdoba en España. El ensayador es Bartolomé Gálvez Aranda, actuo como ensayador entre 1759 y 1772. Marco con su segundo apellido ARANDA y la flor de lis sobre su nombre fue empleada entre 1759 y 1767. Desconozco que platero pudo ser con un apellido acabado en ....STRIA. Puedes leer tu algo mas?

Google Translation

In fact, this is the city of Cordoba in Spain. The essayador is Bartolomé Gálvez Aranda, it acted as an essayer between 1759 and 1772. It marked with its second last name ARANDA and the fleur-de-lis on its name was employed between 1759 and 1767. I do not know that silversmith could be with a surname finished in .... STRIA. Can you read your something else?

regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I note a 'Blas Antonio Austria' working as a silversmith in Cordoba in the 18th century.

Source: La Plata Española - 1894

Trev.
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Muchas Gracias Funkel. It would therefore seem that the box was assayed in Cordoba sometime between 1759 and 1767. Trev has the name of an 18th century Cordoba silversmith Blas Antonio Austria. This seems the closest to the makers mark on the box. I have had another look at the mark and it is possible that the first two letters before ..STRIA could be AU. Your help is much appreciated. John

Google translation

Muchas Gracias Funkel. Por lo tanto, parece que la caja fue ensayada en Córdoba en algún momento entre 1759 y 1767. Trev tiene el nombre de un orfebre de Córdoba del siglo XVIII, Blas Antonio Austria. Esto parece el más cercano a la marca de los fabricantes en la caja. He echado otro vistazo a la marca y es posible que las dos primeras letras antes de .. STRIA podría ser AU. Su ayuda es muy apreciada. John
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Hi Trev. It would seem that Blas Antonio Austria is the front runner as the maker of the box. Looking at the mark again it is possible the STRIA is preceeded by either a U or an AU. Almost there I think! Many thanks for your help. John
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

I'm sure everyone else has noticed already, but there is a period of some years between the date range for manufacture/assay and the date of the Peninsular War (when the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards were part of Wellington's forces). A quick Google reveals that a "George Hickman" was the Assistant Surgeon for the Regiment (Blue) for a number of years, including during the Peninsular War. I can't help but wonder how Hickman ended up with this item...

Waylander
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Yes I had pondered that. I guess he aquired the box in Logrono - possibly a gift from a local person for some medical help he may have given? I suspect the inscription was engraved once he had returned to England...

Return to “Other Countries”