help with silver spoon marked L.G.E. Newport KY

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sunnyside260

help with silver spoon marked L.G.E. Newport KY

Post by sunnyside260 »

I have a spoon that has the has sterling, 925/1000, and L.G. E. Newport KY stamped on the back of it. Who is the L.G.E. of Newport? I want to know who the company is or any details I can. I haven't see another spoon or set like it. Some similar. I will submit an image. It has a May 23, 1886 date engraved it. I am assuming that's a wedding date. But at least it does give me a timeline.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
It may be LCE. Boultinghouse, in Silversmiths of Kentucky, list one L. C. Eisenschmidt of Newport. Eisenschmidt advertised as a jeweler ca.1887-1898.
It would be great if you could post a larger image of the mark.
Regards, Tom
sunnyside260

Silver spoon

Post by sunnyside260 »

Thanks for the response. I will try my hand at getting a closer image of the spoon details.
sunnyside260

Newport spoon images

Post by sunnyside260 »

Sorry it took so long I have been sick. Here is a closer image of the trademark. Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice photo and clearly LCE. It would seem L. C. Eisenschmidt is your man. As he advertised as a jeweler, it is likely he did not make the piece, probably acquired in a wholesale lot from a manufacturer like Duhme in Ohio. The bowl is unusual, might have been reworked in Newport.

Regards, Tom
sunnyside260

Post by sunnyside260 »

I will check into Duhme pieces thanks for the lead.

Bare with me on this next questions. If this Eisenschmidt was know from 1887 then how does that explain the date on the spoon May 23, 1886. Would that mean that this would have been an earlier piece perhaps before he got established? Also, has you seen any other spoons of this pattern, what would it be called. And finally would this be an example of coin silver?

I am submitting other views
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe yours is the Duhme pattern "Tipped", however this was a very common pattern produced from ca.1840 to ca.1890 by many makers throughout the US. It is aka; fiddle, fiddle tipt, fiddle tipped, french tipt etc.
Basically, it is a later version of the straight sided fiddle pattern, the "Tipped" refers to the thickened bracket form at the handle end, this is sometimes seen on the handle reverse (where it makes more sense as a wear buffer). Generically, I'd heard the pattern called "waisted fiddle" or "hourglass fiddle", both make sense and easily differentiate the pattern from the earlier straight fiddle pattern. Any of these patterns can have the "tipped" detail on front or back or not at all. Hope that makes sense to you.
Regards, Tom
sunnyside260

newport spoon

Post by sunnyside260 »

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I learned more in a day than I have been struggling with for months.

Your welcome to use the trademark image on this website if you want to add it to your collection. My husband has a very small circular powerful magnifying glass that has really come in handy with tiny hard to see trademarks.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”