All thoughts appreciated.

Trev.
Dad
contributor

Re: Russian Fork Identification

Post by Dad »

Hi

Moscow.

Master-maker Anton Tchevarsin (А.Ч) (P.-L. №2257)

From Ivanov's book:

Best Reg...
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

...and the assayer AP, Latin AR, is Aleksandr Vasilijevitsh Romanov 1886-1894 in Moscow. Perfect match!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Thank you both for the excellent information.

Trev.
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi all,

I thought it was against forum rules to post asking questions only with a view to selling the object immediately on auction websites! There was once a time where I received a stern ticking off and was issued with a 'board warning' for doing so.

All the best,
P
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Piette,

The information received, may be used directly by an auction site. However it is not permitted to provide direct links to a specific item at/or to auction sited. I dare say most questions are from auction houses and/or (private)sellers & potential buyers & dealers. And this gives us an opportunity to look at various items and their (hall)marks.

Best,

Peter
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Piette,

I appreciate that some members do not care to assist those whose only motivation in posting on the forum is that of profit. But there is a, in fact several bigger pictures to be seen. If someone has an item of silver that wish to dispose of, then seeking the correct description and thus not misleading anyone is surely to be applauded. Far better that an item is in the hands of someone that appreciates it, than being left in a box in the attic as an investment for the future, just gathering dust and seen by no-one. By gaining the correct information an item may well end up in the hands of a collector who will genuinely cherish the item thus perhaps saving it from the melting pot. A request for such information also gives us the opportunity to see great items and record their marks, thus we all learn a little more from the sharing of such information. Providing the OP keeps to the forum rules, and in this case those rules have been conformed too, then I think we all gain a little, sometimes a lot. The forum is not a medium for business, we do make that clear, but a place for serious research into marks that appear on precious metals, so, as long as anonymity is preserved as to reason for the request for information we can hopefully all benefit.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/ebaynote.html

I myself sometimes post requests for information, such as those above, on behalf of a friend that is a silver dealer. The person involved pays back the forum by sending me images of everything that passes through his hands, both the mundane and the exciting, as he is only too aware of the importance of recording such marks, and thus through this medium we have obtained hundreds of images of marks, such as those above, that have posted here and helped many people. Hopefully it can be seen there is a flip side to the coin.

Trev.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
dognose wrote: By gaining the correct information an item may well end up in the hands of a collector who will genuinely cherish the item thus perhaps saving it from the melting pot.
This means underestimating the collectors totally! They know what they see - explained or not!
But the seller would like to address not only collectors but also speculators, etc. Moreover, it is good for his reputation, if he knows what he sells - he describes himself always in some form as an expert. Also he always hopes, as the apparent clueless he is, on a maybe big catch among his unknown pieces. Numerous prospectives increase the sales opportunities! In my opinion the arguments do not appear in all honesty...
Personally, I find it intolerable if I can find my articles literally in various auctions worldwide.

If you get more informations from dealers than from members - something with the forum is wrong!

Goldstein
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Goldstein,

Then the answer in your case is quite simple..... don't contribute.

But, if you don't want to contribute....... Why do you keep coming back?

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Goldstein, nothing wrong with the forum.
Dealers are forum members to and the forum is a free and open source.

Best,

Peter
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Ancient Roman FORUM and Hellenic AGORA with twin function as a political and commercial space (Greek verbs for "I shop “and “I speak in public").
Have a nice Sunday
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I don't understand this debate at all. I don't care a rotten dime whether the questioner is a dealer, collector, seller, buyer, whatever.... That is not important at all for me. What is, however, is that I can see objects with their marks, read other members' opinions, gather information and learn more and more. In addition, isn't it better that an object is attributed correctly on whatever site like eBay or similar instead of having a "provenience" (read: bullsh..) picked from sky? Anyway, I fully understand that it can be annoying finding your own words on an e.g. auction site but so what, at least the information is correct and will not mislead any unknowing or unskilled person. I see nothing wrong with the forum and its rules. For me it is a good teacher and source of information.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi.

I agree.

I don't see a big problem in this fact. If the contributor of a forum gives information in forum, then he knows that this information will not his property already. If you have not desire to teach for other contributors – don't teach. Of course, it is unpleasant to see the your exclusive information published without reference. But it is your choice.
Russian proverb:"Слово не воробей, вылетит - не поймаешь" (a word spoken is past recalling). It very much is suitable for Network. )))

I am upset more when after my answer I receive silenceeeeee.....
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Dad wrote:Hi.

I am upset more when after my answer I receive silenceeeeee.....
And that, again and again.....))))
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Dad,

We agree in silence.

Best,

Peter
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

So we do, a "Thank you..." would be enough after all work done to settle the case.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Good to know that I'm not the only one bothered by the lack of simple 'thanks', particularly when one's responses are copied & pasted directly into sales descriptions. Usually just tell myself that it's all in the interest of getting correct information out there...

~Cheryl
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Ditto Dad, oel, Cheryl, Qrt.S. I usually say you're welcome to those who bother to say thanks, to try to model respectful behaviour, and refrain from replying to those who haven't said thanks in the past. Just my little one-man protest. There, I feel better already.

Return to “Russian Silver”