HELP ME! with identification brooch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Oerizet

HELP ME! with identification brooch

Post by Oerizet »

Hello! I'm new here I have a silver brooch with what I managed to establish it comes from chester though I could be wrong.
I know that this is certainly the silver because I checked it at the goldsmith.
brooch has a visible symbol of the lion and the letter G and other symbols visible in the picture
Please help and determine the origin of the city and the year of brooches and if possible to determine the manufacturer.
thank you in advance.
Regards Darek

link to photos:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1jfZf ... sp=sharing
AG2012
contributor

Re: HELP ME! with identification brooch

Post by AG2012 »

The pictures are really small.Better close up is needed.
Regards
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The hallmark shows that your brooch was assayed at the Chester Assay Office - that does not mean that it was made in Chester. The date letter looks to me like C. This is the date code for the assay year 1903/04. I cannot determine what the maker's mark is except that it appears to start with S. For those who prefer not to click on links I have included below a cropped version of one of your pictures. If you can post a clearer in-focus picture of the maker's mark we may be able to determine the other characters.

Phil

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It does look like Chester assay office.The first letter in maker`s mark appears to be ``S``but there are too many silversmiths in Chester starting with S.
You can kindly take better picture of the marks, or at least tell us what`s the second letter under higher magnification (use 10 X jewelers loupe).
Oerizet

Post by Oerizet »

I was able to make only such pictures.
I also ask for help if it is possible to identify stones
Thanks Dariusz
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It was made in 1903. Cannot see the second letter in the mark to narrow the search in spite of good images (the position of the mark). Stones are well set (the prongs). They could be rose diamonds (it’s not the colour but the cut, they are flat at the bottom).The only way to tell is electronic diamond tester, every jeweler has one.
I see the needle is missing, broken; it can be easily replaced, or even better soldered to the remaining part. But what’s left of it should be removed from the brooch by stretching needle bearing (see picture and red arrows). Applying high temperature to the brooch and pickling would destroy the enamel and the stones might pop out. Even if not meant to be soldered, removing the remaining part out of the bearing would show what it looked like to make the same needle. The needle should be at about 30 degrees in open upward position against ``the ridge`` of the bearing to create a spring effect, otherwise it would be loose.
Regards
Oerizet

Post by Oerizet »

It is the needle. just as it looks in the picture as if she was not there but it's not destroyed! thanks for the comments. I would appreciate an answer to my question, of course, if possible.
1. where he comes brooch
2. year performance
3. Who is the manufacturer
4. if it is possible to check the stones

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Your questions have already been answered.Made in Chester, year 1903, the maker cannot be identified due to incompletely struck mark.Stones can be checked with electronic diamond tester (identification of stones is not possible based on pictures).
Value is not discussed here.
Regards
Cuznerfan
contributor

Post by Cuznerfan »

Hello Oerizet,
Maker's mark poorly struck is A.J.S for Arthur John Smith, jewellery manufacturer 46 Frederick Street, Birmingham. Chester at this period had a forwarding office in Birmingham it was sometimes (because Birmingham Assay Office was so busy) quicker to send items to Chester for marking than use Birmingham. Hope this helps
kind regards
Craig
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Arthur Johnson Smith ?

Return to “European Jewelry”