Tiffany Piece w/Glass - Questions

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jacksonsvl19l

Tiffany Piece w/Glass - Questions

Post by jacksonsvl19l »

Hello Again. I'm wondering if the glass insert is original to the piece. It is signed Steuben on the bottom of the glass. It fits like a glove, so perfectly it makes me think it is original. In my research I found some pieces of Tiffany silver with glass signed Stevens & Williams, founder of Steuben Glass.
Also, what is this piece used for.
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

rynegold

Re: Tiffany Piece w/Glass - Questions

Post by rynegold »

What are it's measurments? Height and width of both glass insert and the silver piece beneath.
rynegold

Post by rynegold »

I'm thinking mustard pot...

I would have added that to my previous message, but I cannot remember how to edit a message on this forum. Anyone know?
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Can't quite make out the pattern number, looks like it might be '17336', which would date first production to 1909, the 'm' mark was used from 1907-47. Personally, doubt the liner is original to the piece, the engraving is covered, at a slightly awkward point, by the pierced gallery - with that rim, the glass appears to be perhaps a small bulb-forcing vase, or maybe a jam jar that had a lid resting on the indentation. Steuben can sometimes be dated by the mark, keeping in mind that their marks are also faked - might have a glass expert take a look at it. Size can be helpful in determining what a piece was used for, with that built-in drip plate, suspect it might have been for something a bit messy, there are all sorts of possibilities, a jam jar or syrup jug, with that open base, it may even have been a holder for a commercial container of some sort of sauce - hard to tell, really...

Tiffany Marks

~Cheryl
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Using the '17336' pattern code in an online search, found that your item originally held a lidded china honey pot made by Lenox and also marked for Tiffany...

~Cheryl
jacksonsvl19l

Post by jacksonsvl19l »

Thanks again. Now I have to find one of those Lenox Honey Pots.

sadowcasto

Post by sadowcasto »

Any luck finding a jar for this piece yet?

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”