RUSSELL, Isaac (Grimwade p.307)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

RUSSELL, Isaac (Grimwade p.307)

Post by MCB »

Indentures were signed in 1787 for Isaac Russell to be the apprentice of his father William (Grimwade p.353) Citizen, Goldsmith and watch case maker of Foster Lane.
There is a christening of an Isaac Russell, son of William, a watch case maker and his wife Agnes recorded at St Giles, Cripplegate in 1766. This may relate to a son of William and Agnes who had died in infancy rather than the son Isaac who became his father’s apprentice. Usually apprentices were about 14 years old when becoming indentured. In view of Isaac’s age recorded at death however he seems to have been born earlier than 1773.
The christening of Isaac, son of Isaac and Mary Russell, was recorded at St Luke, Finsbury in 1793.
He was assessed to Land Tax on a property in Bishopsgate in 1794.
He entered a maker’s mark at Goldsmiths Hall in 1796 as a case maker from Little Mitchell Street, Old Street.
He was assessed to Land Tax on property “to the West Side of Bowl and Pin”, St Luke’s parish from 1797-1803.
Indentures were signed in 1798 for Charles Reid to be the apprentice of Isaac Russell Citizen, Goldsmith and watch case maker of Mitchell Street, Old Street.
The christening of daughter Ann was recorded at St Luke’s in 1800.
He was assessed to Land Tax on property in Richmond Street, St Luke’s parish from 1809-1811.
Indentures were signed in 1811 for Edward Harry Reynolds to be the apprentice of Isaac Russell, watch case maker of Richmond Street.
His burial aged around 78 years, late of Goldsmiths Row (Goldsmiths Alms Houses were situated there), was recorded at St Mary, Haggerston in 1841.
familyprl

Re: RUSSELL, Isaac (Grimwade p.307)

Post by familyprl »

More information about Isaac Russell:

Isaac Russell's daughter Mary Ann Russell married her father's apprentice Charles Reid on 2 Feb 1818 at St Giles Cripplegate in London.
Charles Reid's apprenticeship document was passed on through the family and I have a photocopy taken many years ago before the original was lost. Five generations subsequent to Charles Reid have used "Russell" as a first or middle name.

From a visit to the Greater London Records Office in 1995:
Parents Charles and Mary Ann Reid, children christened at Finsbury St Luke, Old St, London
Christened Born Children Abode Occupation
9 May 1819 Charles Reid Lizard Street Watchcase Maker
19 Aug 1821 13 Jun 1821 John Russell Reid Richmond Street Watchcase Maker
23 Dec 1827 George Reid Richmond Street Watchmaker

From census information they also had a daughter Julia Ann Reid, born on 22 May 1824, christened 27 June 1824 at Finsbury St Luke.

From "WATCHMAKERS AND CLOCKMAKERS OF THE WORLD" by G.H.Baillie. First Edition 1929, third edition 1951
.........."Isaac Russell London apprenticed 1781".
familyprl

Post by familyprl »

In the 1841 Census, Isaac Russell aged 76 and Mary Russell aged 78 were living at Goldsmiths Place, Tower Hamlets, Parish of St Leonard's Shoreditch, occcupation "Almsman".
This matches the christening date of 1766. The burial age of 78 was probably a best guess.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi familyprl,

A belated welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for posting this information, it's very much appreciated.

It it possible that you can post some images of the photocopy of Charles Reid's apprenticeship document in the 'Ephemera' section?

Ephemera

Trev.
familyprl

Post by familyprl »

Hi Trev
Just seen your request for a photocopy (3 months late; has been a busy summer).
I have an A3 sheet (probably from at least 20 years ago; originals probably ditched after death of distant family member! ) with 3 documents:
(1) An apprenticeship doc for Charles Reid apprenticed to Isaac Russell (only 7 lines but width spans whole of the A3 doc - just about readable)
(2) Marriage Cert of Charles Reid to Mary Ann Russell extracted from register 2 Feb 1818 (day of the wedding)
(3) Unsure about the 3rd document - concerning indenture, I think, but very blury. Has a crest in top left hand corner.
Our scanner only takes A4 so I have 2 JPEG's, one of the left side of the A3 and the other of the right side of the A3.
But how do I insert them into Ephemera? Is it something to do with the "img" option?
Olive
familyprl

Post by familyprl »

Are there 2 Isaac Russell's (perhaps related as cousins often have thee same name) since there seem to be two indentures: 1787 (MCB post) and 1781 (from G H Baillie's book in Lancs Record Office that I mentioned in my post)???
The 1781 date is the better match for the 1766 christening.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Olive,

Just resize the images to a maximum width of 7" (18cm) and upload them to a photohost, then chose the [img] code for forums, message boards etc. and copy and paste the link into a new topic in the Ephemera section.

If you have any problems resizing, then just post a [url] link, and I'll convert them from this end.

Many thanks for your help with this, it is appreciated.

Trev.
familyprl

Post by familyprl »

Very unsure of what I'm doing. Haven't created url links before. Are these the links you wanted:
http://1drv.ms/1OuLA2F
http://1drv.ms/1OuLnfO
My scanner only takes A4 so I couldn't resize.

The quality of my original copy is very poor. Can just about make out "Charles Reid Son of John ...?... Appr of Isaac Russell ....?... on the top line, and the hand-written date is guesswork ....25 day of Nov in the ...?... Year of the Reign of GEORGE the Third and in the year of Our Lord 1???

The fuzzy document with the shield - think I can just make out "Charles Reid son of John ........Old Street Shoreditch........." .

Hope you will be able to see for yourself. Olive
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Thank you Olive, that's great. I'll add the information into the Ephemera forum very soon.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Embedded images of the above mentioned documents can now be seen in the Ephemera section of the forum:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 75&t=42263

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”