*NEW TO SITE* Japanese? Pure Silver Vase with Gold Flower need help with maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
klingsheim

*NEW TO SITE* Japanese? Pure Silver Vase with Gold Flower need help with maker

Post by klingsheim »

Hello All,

I have officially exhausted all outlets to discover the maker mark and age on this. As Japanese is not a language I am at all familiar with I have been attempting to translate many sites and have had no luck. It has a gold chrysanthemum flower (which is the Japanese seal?) on it that I hope I am not wrong in assuming it is pure as well?
This vase is massive - 1500+ grams and I think contains the "Pure Silver" mark at the top and them the bottom would be the signature.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated!

It is similar to this Vase (Obviously the flower is different, I don't have an actual photo of the entire thing, waiting on my mom whom only sent the picture of the marks)

Here are the photos of the marks.

Thanks,
Klingsheim
davidross
contributor

Re: *NEW TO SITE* Japanese? Pure Silver Vase with Gold Flower need help with maker

Post by davidross »

Welcome to the Forum.

I can only speak for the limitations of my own mental powers, which the OP has confounded with an overwhelming sense of deja vu. I find it very confusing when someone crops a photo previously posted here by another member and reposts it as a different object and writes "it is similar to this..." because I know I have seen the very same object before, but with different marks:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ase#p87440

"Similar" is not particularly helpful where either marks or family crests are concerned, since even a seemingly minor difference may point to very different conclusions. If your mother can manage to take a photo of the mark on the bottom of the vase, surely she can take a few photos of the entire object.

Please post original photos of the actual item.

DR
klingsheim

Re: *NEW TO SITE* Japanese? Pure Silver Vase with Gold Flower need help with maker

Post by klingsheim »

Here are the photos of the actual vase. Thanks for your help.

Do you think you can decipher the signatures and marks?

Klingsheim
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

The mark is read Kobayashi. Probably a retailer rather than a maker.

Hope this helps.

DR
klingsheim

Post by klingsheim »

Indeed it does. Thanks so much.

Since it is not made by an artist and more of a retailer does that mean that the chrysanthemum is not a crest but just the seal of Japan?

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

I appreciate your insight!

Klingsheim
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Upon further research, this is the mark of D. Kobayashi, active ca 1930s.
klingsheim

Post by klingsheim »

Thank you very much Mr. Ross.
Your information has allowed me to find similar cases and more information about the maker. I sincerely appreciate your help.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

The Forum is a place to share information, so by all means, please let us know what you have found out about D. Kobayashi.

I have already posted what I know in the CES Far East Trade topic under Contributors' Notes.

Regards,
DR

Return to “Far East”