Chester England Date Mark 1901 or 1726 Silver Jewelry

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
cap

Chester England Date Mark 1901 or 1726 Silver Jewelry

Post by cap »

The 1901 and 1726 date marks for Chester are so similar. What are your thoughts on the mark on this piece?
Any thoughts to the maker - I can't find anything that looks like a makers mark.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Chester England Date Mark 1901 or 1726 Silver Jewelry

Post by silvermakersmarks »

As this is only a partial mark (no town mark or maker's mark) I surmise that this is not the whole piece as originally submitted for assay. I agree that it is almost certainly a Chester mark and, due to the vanishingly small number of items seen from the earlier cycle, I have to say that this is much more likely to be 1901 than 1726.

Phil
user701
contributor

Post by user701 »

Just a thought, the piece looks like it may be one half of a belt or nurses buckle, it would explain why there is only partial marks.
cap

Post by cap »

Yes, I believe it was put together from leftover pieces - Here are pics of the entire pendant. Back and Front. The top looks like a buckle of some sort. Sections two and three are marked with the same marking - so I assume they all 4 are by the same maker. All I was able to find are the lion and A marks. If anyone else has any ideas as to the maker, or opinion on whether it is Chester and what year, please chime in.
Thanks!

Return to “Silver Jewelry - Single Image”