Inhereted Silverplate help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
TallMAGuy

Inhereted Silverplate help

Post by TallMAGuy »

We inherited these nested silverplate serving dishes with removable handles from my mother-in-law. They have personal monograms which we can not identify either. Any help with identifying the maker and correct terminology to describe them is appreciated.

TallMAGuy

Re: Inhereted Silverplate help

Post by TallMAGuy »

I neglected to mention that these 4 pieces all nest together for storage.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi TallMAGuy,

Welcome to the Forum.

Stylisticly these pieces look like they may be Old Sheffield Plate. OSP items are often are not struck with identifying maker's mark, but are often to be found with the workman's mark only. This may be the case with this mark.

Are the items all struck with the same mark?

Can you post an image of the engraving?

Trev.
TallMAGuy

Post by TallMAGuy »

Thank you for your reply dognose. Both of the handles and both bottom pieces bear the mark shown. The tops do not have the mark but they have the engravings. The images are below.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Yes, these engraving slugs would fit in with the items being OSP. These slugs, either mounted on the surface or set in to item to provide a flush surface, are sometimes solid silver, sometimes very heavily plated and are there to take engravings, as the normal OSP silver surface would be penetrated by the graver exposing the copper under layer.

The crest is unusual (to me), it would be worthwhile I'm sure starting a new topic in the 'Family Crests' section with the clearest images that you can capture. Try putting one of the pieces into a freezer for 20 minutes, remove it, and then take the images, this will give the surface a fine mist covering and stop the reflection. Take the images in daylight with no flash and the camera set to the macro feature.

Trev.
TallMAGuy

Post by TallMAGuy »

Thanks again dognose. I will do as you suggest and post in the Family Crests section using the technique you described.

Do you have any idea of the age of these pieces, or how I could determine that?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

If they are indeed OSP, and it is always difficult to be sure from images alone, then I would have thought c.1820 by the design. But it is well to remember that such pieces were later reproduced.

Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

You are spot on with the idea that they may be later reproductions Trev. These are Walker & Hall entre dishes made in 1906.

Merry Christmas!

Paul.
TallMAGuy

Post by TallMAGuy »

Thanks for the information Paul.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

You are very welcome. I hope they looked good on your table at Christmas dinner.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”