Help with Marks on European Silver Serving Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silvercrown

Help with Marks on European Silver Serving Spoon

Post by silvercrown »

I've posted this in the "other" category because I have no idea where this spoon belongs. It is 9" long & weighs 39.1 grams. It has a fiddle handle. It is marked "Rohlmann". Then there is a face in a circle with the number 64 underneath. It is also stamped "F.A.Z.". Finally, there is a "U" inside an oval with a textured background. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help with Marks on European Silver Serving Spoon

Post by dognose »

Hi Silvercrown,

Just to get the ball rolling, F.A.Z. is Friedrich August Zimmermann, he was working in Wroclaw/Breslau from 1840 until 1878. The date on the spoon is 1864.

Hopefully someone else can fill in the missing pieces.

Trev.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the 70 is for the fineness of 70 % silver and was used for a few decades in the second half of the 19th century. "U" was the mark of warden J.A.A. Rudolph, used between 1861-1876. The name on the left hand side is most likely that of the retailer. Believe it should be read as "Bohlmann" (the lower parts of the first letters seem to be missing), that would be jeweller Bohlmann from Breslau /Wroclaw. Regards, Bahner
silvercrown

Post by silvercrown »

Thank you, but forgive my ignorance. Is the "warden" the official the assay office? Is the F.A.Z. still correct in terms of the silversmith? The only Friedrich August Zimmermann I could find was an artist (painter). Thanks to you both again.

Silvercrown
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello and yes, Zimmermann is the maker and the warden was assigned by the guild to watch over the hallmarking. Regards, Bahner

Return to “Other Countries”