Toronto Silver Plate Co. - Toronto - 1896
The Toronto Silver Plate Company was founded and incorporated in 1882 by James A. Watts and a subscribed capital of $100,000. Watts had earlier been a sales representative for the Meriden Britannia Company of Hamilton, Ontario. They were the first company in Canada to manufacture silver plated products from their factory situated at 570, King Street West.
Toronto Silver Plate Co. - Toronto - 1902
In c.1885 they started production of Holmes & Edwards flatware made under license. James A. Watts was succeeded by Edward George Gooderham, who had been with the company almost from its inception, starting in a clerical position and finally becoming President in 1909.Edward George Gooderham detail - 1914
Under E G Gooderham's leadership the Toronto Silver Plate Company experienced their golden years, opening showrooms in London at 23,Thavies Inn, Holborn Circus, and expanding their King Street factory onto ajoining land at Adelaide Street. Besides E G Gooderham, other directors noted at this period were John C. Copp, W H Beatty, Alfred Gooderham, G Gooderham, W H Partridge, David Walker, W T Kiely, William Thomson, James Webster and Frank Turner.
Toronto Silver Plate Co. - Toronto - 1913
Success will, of course, result in the envious attention of others, and in 1913 the Toronto Silver Plate Company was aquired by the Canadian Wm. A. Rogers Company. The name Toronto Silver Plate Company was continued until 1929 when the Wm. A. Rogers company was absorbed by Oneida Community Limited, and the Toronto Plate Company name was assigned to the scrap bin. A sad end for the pioneers of the Canadian silver plating industry.
Canadian Wm. A. Rogers Ltd. - Toronto - 1921