Help identify this mark.

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
bourgeoiswanderlust

Help identify this mark.

Post by bourgeoiswanderlust »

This is my first post. This is a great forum and I look forward to learning and contributing on here. I recently bought this bowl and I'm not even sure if it is sterling silver. Please let me know if any recognizes the mark and if it's even sterling silver.

Thank you in advance.

oel
co-admin

Re: Help identify this mark.

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum,

I believe it to be Portuguese silver, this particular assay mark for the city of Porto also known as Oporto, used 1843/1853.
The zig-zag line is made by the assayer to determine the silver fineness, I believe fineness could be above sterling standard (925/1000) and perhaps minimum 958/1000 (95.8% pure silver). Could you show us an image of the complete bowl and an clear enhanced image of the marks.

Oel.
bourgeoiswanderlust

oel wrote:Hi welcome to the forum,

I believe it to be Portuguese silver, this particular assay mark for the city of Porto also known as Oporto, used 1843/1853.
The zig-zag line is made by the assayer to determine the silver fineness, I believe fineness could be above sterling standard (925/1000) and perhaps minimum 958/1000 (95.8% pure silver). Could you show us an image of the complete bowl and an clear enhanced image of the marks.

Oel.
Oel,

Thank you for the quick and informative response. Here are the additional photos you requested. I welcome any new information. Thank you in advance.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks for the images, nice silver bowl, could you spell out the maker’s mark initials?
Perhaps other forum members will be able to tell you more.

Best,

Oel.
bourgeoiswanderlust

oel wrote:Thanks for the images, nice silver bowl, could you spell out the maker’s mark initials?
Perhaps other forum members will be able to tell you more.

Best,

Oel.
It's hard to decipher but it appears to be EW?

Thanks again.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Don't believe it's EW, may I make a suggestion?

Place your camera on the macro setting, focus solely on the makers mark. Also try to filter the sunlight though a drap then as your shooting try not to lean over the object which creates an additional shadow. Then keep shooting from different angles, you will eventually get the shot you need.

Warren

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”