Baird-North Co.

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Baird-North Co.

Post by dognose »

BAIRD-NORTH Co.

290 & 334, Essex Street, Salem, Massachusetts, later, 205 & 611, Broad Street, Providence, Rhode Island

Some advertisements from the mail order company Baird-North Co. of Salem, Massachusetts and Providence, Rhode Island.

Baird-North Co. - Salem, Mass. - 1896

Baird-North Co. - Salem, Mass. - 1898

Baird-North Co. - Salem, Mass. - 1906

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Baird-North Co.

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Salem, Mass. - 1905

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1913

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Salem, Mass. - 1895

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1911

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Four pages from a Baird-North catalogue from c.1912:

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Salem, Mass. - 1904

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1916
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Two trade marks registered to the Baird-North Co. in 1923:

Both for use on artificial or reconstructed pearls: 'QUEEN ELIZABETH' and 'OMAR'

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

DEATH OF G. R. HUSSEY

President of Baird-North Co., Providence, R. Succumbs to an Attack of Pneumonia After a Few Days' Illness

Providence. R. I., Dec. 28.–George R. Hussey, president of the Baird-North Co., manufacturing jewelers and silversmiths and mail order distributors, 861 Broad St., this city, and a member of the Board of Aldermen from the Sixth Ward, died yesterday morning at his home, 179 Ontario St., from pneumonia following an illness of only a few days with influenza. He was taken sick on Tuesday but the attack did not appear of a serious character until during the night Thursday, when it took a turn for the worst.

He had been a member of the Board of Alderman for four years, and was to have retired Jan. 6, having declined to accept nomination for another term, because of his desire to devote all his time and energies to the affairs of the Baird-North Co.

Alderman Hussey was born in Augusta. Me., May 29, 1884. being the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Hussey. He received his early education in the public school of Augusta, later attending the Salem, Mass., high school; Salem Commercial School and the Waltham Horological School. He was also a graduate of Dartmouth College. After graduating from college he associated himself with his father, who in 1895 had established the Baird-North Co., gold and silversmiths, at Salem. The young man took a systematic course of training in the various departments of the business and it was this intimate knowledge of the fundamentals of the business that resulted in the success that the firm has attained.

In October, 1907, the business having taken up a mail order division, had grown to such proportions that it was decided to remove to Providence and a considerable tract of land was purchased fronting on Broad St., and extended from Lexington Ave. to Ontario St., where a large brick building was erected and occupied, the Husseys, father and son, removing to Providence so as to be in close touch with the affairs of the business. In January, 1908, the father died and the son became president of the company, and has since had the management of its affairs, developing the concern into one of the largest mail order houses of the country.

On Nov. 9, 1907, Mr. Hussey married Miss Julia Agnes Corbett, of Beverly, Mass., by whom he is survived. He also leaves three children, one son and two daughters. He was a member of the Boston Athletic Association, the Providence Central Club, Edgewood Yacht Club, West Side Club, Rhode Island Automobile Club and Metacomet Golf Club. He was prominently affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, having attained to the 32nd degree. He was a member of Providence Royal Arch Chapter, Providence Council, R. & S. M.; St. John's Commandery, Knights Templar; Palestine Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and Rhode Island Consistory of the Scottish Rites. He was also a member of Providence Lodge, Benevolent Order of Elks.

In the Fall of 1912 Mr. Hussey became interested in politics in this city and ran for the Common Council as Democratic candidate from the Sixth Ward. He made such an unusually good contest for the place, polling far more votes than any of his associates on the ticket, that at the election in 1914 he received the Democratic nomination for Alderman, also running on independent nomination papers. He succeeded in carrying the election, and attained the distinction of being the first and only Democrat ever elected to the Providence Board of Aldermen from the Sixth Ward. In 1916 he was re-elected by the voters of the ward, but this Fall declined a renomination because of the pressure of business affairs.

While in the City Council he served for four years as a member of the finance committee, the principal committee of the body. He was also closely associated with Mayor Joseph H. Gainer. Upon learning of Alderman Hussey's death, Mayor Gainer ordered the flags on City Hall to half mast and called a special meeting of the Board of Aldermen for noon today at which time resolutions were adopted upon the death of their associate and arranged to attend the funeral services.

Of Alderman Hussey and his activities as a member of the City Government, the Mayor said yesterday: "I was stunned to hear this noon of the death of Alderman George R. Hussey, particularly as information came to me yesterday that his sickness was in a light form. I cannot express the distinct personal loss which I feel. I regarded Mr. Hussey as an intimate and valued friend.

"His services to the city as a member of the Board of Aldermen for the past four years were of inestimable value. He was a man of high ideals, of strong character and of marked ability. In his death the city of Providence loses a public servant and a patriotic citizen of the highest type, and his associates at City Hall a lovable and faithful friend."

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 1st January 1919

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1920

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Walter R. Best, for 16 years with the Baird-North Co., in several executive capacities, has become associated with the Baker-Bliss Co., in the Hoppin-Homestead building, 357 Westminster St. This concern, doing business as the Imperial Importing Co., in the mail order field, is conducting a general retail jewelry business carrying a stock and handling considerable special order work.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 25th January 1922

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1922

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1907

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1916

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1913

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1912

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The employes of the office and filing departments of the Baird-North Co., gave a miscellaneous shower for Miss Gertrude C. McNally on Friday evening, in anticipation of her marriage this month. Mrs. Walter L. Fitzpatrick was the hostess and her home was prettily decorated in pink and white for the occasion.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th August 1919

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Baird-North Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1918

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »