Is this German silver?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
emaliek
contributor

Is this German silver?

Post by emaliek »

The mark is 800 FB and in the triangle is 5 with a cross. The marks don't hace the usual crescent of German marks.

blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

I can't seem to get your links to work, but from your description they marks sound consistent with those used in Czechoslovakia from 1929 until the German Occupation (ca. 1941), the five being the fifth standard of .800 silver.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, that's correct. Maker is Frantisek (Franz) Bibus from Mährisch-Ostrau (Ostrawa). Best wishes, Bahner
emaliek
contributor

Czech silver set

Post by emaliek »

Thanks very much for the replies! I'd love a reference book on German/Danish/other European makers. Any suggestions?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Emaliek,
A good book for Europeon marks would be International Hallmarks on Silver by Maurice Lengelle Tardy,
Regards Trev.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to clarify, Tardy does not include maker's marks.
There are a great many works on makers from specific countries and time periods, but I cannot actually think of a good general book for European makers' marks.
The most extensive grouping I've seen is in "Art Nouveau and Art Deco Silver" by Analiese Krekel-Aalberse. The book illustrates about 350 maker's marks, European and American ca.1890 - 1940.

Regards, Tom
emaliek
contributor

book

Post by emaliek »

I do have the Tardy book. Thanks for the info. I hope to get some more manufacturer and pattern resources.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Emaliek,
Sorry, I misread your question,
Regards Trev.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello,

First, I have to correct myself. Location of the company was in the city of Mährisch Trübau (Moravska Trebova), not Mährisch Ostrau.

Bibus founded a workshop for small silverware in 1883 and later started making silverplated objects, too. In 1908 production of cutlery was taken up, since 1915 Bibus also produced larger tableware. In the late 1920ies or early 1930ies he also took up production of stainless cutlery and tableware. Looks like the company was privately owned until 1973. In that year it seems to have been taken over by the Czech state and renamed “Rostex” (literally: “Nostain”). I am not aware whether the Rostex company existing today in the city of Vyskov had or has anything to do with that.

After 1900 Bibus made some striking objects in the art nouveau style of the “Wiener Werkstätten”, later he produced strikingly modernistic cutlery and tableware. So far it is not known who designed all these objects. I am not aware of a monograph or a longer article on the company. There are some scattered infos on Bibus in German or Spanish exhibition catalogues on the Czech avantgarde movement, but that’s about it.

Best wishes, Bahner
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A good general sourcebook for early 20th century European patterns and makers is "Bestecke des Jugendstils - Art Nouveau Knives, Forks and Spoons"
Inventory Catalogue of the Deutsches Klingenmuseum Solingen, Germany. ISBN: 3925369953
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, when consulting the book one should be aware that it contains a considerable number of mistakes (wrong dates, wrong attributions to designers etc.). Best wishes, Bahner
emaliek
contributor

Czeck silver

Post by emaliek »

Thanks to all for the info!
Angela
IVAN MILOVIC, M.D.

Post by IVAN MILOVIC, M.D. »

DEAR SIR,
THE MARKS ARE USED ON SILVER OBJECTS IN INDEPENDENT SLOVAKIA AFTER THE GERMAN OCCUPATION OF BOHEMIA.
BEST REGARDS,
IVAN MILOVIC, M.D.

Return to “Other Countries”