Silver from Pest Marker and Design

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverligther

Silver from Pest Marker and Design

Post by silverligther »

Need help with this tray from Pest. The assay mark is the "Dianas Head" in the typical cartouche and the number "3" for third grade silver (800/1000. Furthermore there is the letter "P" indicating the assy office of town of Pest. Another mark "JR" (?) is the makers mark. Very similar / indentical marks can be found in the directory of the MAK in Vienna. According to this source the possible makers are Johann Richter or Josef Reiner.
Because I'm not very familiar with the austro hungarian silver trade here is my first question. As these two makers where located in vienna is it possible that silverwares made in Vienna and brougth to Pest get the assay mark from Pest? If not, is a maker "JR" (?) known as member of the gold and silversmith guild in Pest?
My second question is related to the design. I saw a lot of similar designed pieces in the silvershops in Pest but but none of those I asked had a name for this specific design or the name of the designer. But they all told me that this design is very typical for silver from Pest.
Thanks for any help!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver from Pest Marker and Design

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Budapest had huge silver production, so, the assumption of the tray being made in Vienna and brought to Hungary`s capital to be assayed is out of question.
The style cannot be linked to any particular designer, period or geographical area because it has been repeated for centuries since the baroque, even earlier.
I am sure the Budapest maker will be identified.
Regards
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Dear Silverligther!
The guild system was abolished in Hungary in 1867, and industrial boards took their place.
Your maker was Jedlicska Rudolf.
In 1929 his workshop was in the VIII. district, Kistemplom utca (street) 7.
His industrial license was terminated in 1935.
As I found at the contemporary newspapers, in 1941 hit by a tram,but they wrote to have suffered only a few bruises.
I didn't find more about him.
In hungarian language this desing called "hólyagos". Maybe a good translation would be the blistered?
I don't know.
Best regards!
Krisztián
silverligther

Post by silverligther »

Hello, and many thanks to AG2012 and Krisztián for the fast answers which solved this case completely.
Once again I be amazed from the extensive and deep knowledge of the mebers of this forum.
I had one annotation to the reference from Krisztián to "industrial boards" and "industrial" work. The fotos do not show that the tray is completely hand hammerd, no machine work. If necessary I can post a detail foto from the blisterd parts. How does that fit together?
Best regards!
Josef
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

After the object was finished, it was decorated by hand and with a hammer. the hammering is clearly visible. It is not so rare in the Hungarian art deco.
On the other hands, the smaller workshops still did many things by hand.
Best regards!
Krisztián
silverligther

Post by silverligther »

Yes, regarding to the object that you show, the hammering is a part of the design and done after the main structures of the piece where made by machine work. So I guess the workshop of Rudolf Jedlicska belongs to the smaller ones as he used hand wrougth techniques to work out the shape of this tray. Mainly the border but also the plane (mirror) is made by elaborate manual work. The the punches are not a part of the design as they are not visible on the smoothed surface. Maybe it belongs not to the standard production but was a piece of a journeyman's exam?

Return to “Other Countries”