Help identifying Austrian candelabra marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Help identifying Austrian candelabra marks

Post by AllSeasons »

I'm in need of help identifying marks on an Austrian candelabra that I recently purchased. I believe the left mark is the Republic of Austria mark used after 1921, with "W" denoting Vienna and "4" denoting 800 (as well as the shape of the cartouche and the "800" mark). What I'm needing help with is the mark in the middle. Based on some preliminary research, the 4-leaf "clover" mark could be attributable to Alexander Sturm in Vienna. However, there appear to be additional letters/numbers to the bottom-left and bottom-right of the "clover" leaf. To me, it looks like a "1" on the bottom-left and the letters "JO" on the bottom-right. I have no idea what those mean. Any insight there would be much appreciated.

Also on a different note, one of the holders on the candelabra is completely missing. What are the chances of me finding a replacement part for this? If this is Alexander Sturm, are they still in business? Could I request a replacement part?

The images are below. As always, thank you in advance.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Help identifying Austrian candelabra marks

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The firm still exists in Vienna, Tegetthoffstraße 3.
They have a workshop and repairs are done, but not sure if missing parts are possible to find or create. It`s not just soldering broken pieces, looks difficult unless they have machines to make exactly the same capital and sconce.
They can be contacted with the question here:
E-mail: sturm.silber@aon.at

Good luck.
Regards
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you! I'm also wondering if it would be worth it to repair the missing holder. A silversmith I reached out to said it would cost $800-$1600 USD to do a custom mold. I would assume having a replacement holder sent here (United States) from Austria would also cost a lot of money, assuming they're able/willing to do it in the first place. The candelabra doesn't hold any personal sentimental value for me, but I also don't want to have to scrap it, not having ever scrapped anything silver. Not quite sure what to do with it at this point; I guess I could just hold on to it for now.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I cannot tell from images how the sconce is fixed; if there is a screw and everything can be disassembled, I would take the middle sconce and fix it somehow to the arm where it`s missing. Then you will have middle sconce missing, but then you can find whatever similar sconce, cut the thread and fix it. At least there will be a symmetry of the whole piece. Of course, only if not much work is needed. Full repair in Austria seems to be out of question even if you lived there.
Search for Vintage Sterling Sconce on US eB. Link is against the rules.

Good luck.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Members

interesting topic about making missing sconce piece.

This so called difficulty of making missing piece,must be telling us something about the earlier craftsman.
I find it very strange that this is supposed to be so difficult to reproduce the missing piece ,I am not a silver smith,in my former occupation ,Antique furniture restorer (for 50years) I copied many missing and damaged sections,carving, turning,inlay etc.
Modern craftsman are either incompetent or lazy ,copying things is not a problem (very easy if the craftsman has the skills,not brain science)
the lost wax method of casting is on of the ways of this job,it could be done other ways ,turning top and base fabricating middle section and joining sections together.

This problem with making a simple missing section tells me how underrated all the earlier silversmiths work is.
I have attached some images of some of my custom made work.
new hand made key for an Erhard & Sohne (Germany) box with their logo on key. (original missing)
Purchased plaque without frame (unusual shape, size) designed and made frame to suit in walnut.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Other Countries”