Help with an Eastern European Captain's Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dartsil
contributor

Help with an Eastern European Captain's Spoon

Post by dartsil »

Hi all.

Recently I have acquired 3 Captains spoons and also from the same place a large soup ladle which has marking on it like one of the spoons.

Anyways I will start today with this one, in wonderful order and marked with what appears to be C.D.G and possibly 12, the actual name above the date 1822 I can not determine, I am assuming this name will either be the ship's Chandler or the Captain.

Any assistance on the maker and the other name is would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Colin

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Help with an Eastern European Captain's Spoon

Post by Qrt.S »

Mind my asking but "eastern...?". Anyway, the name seems to be Jacob Harmsen...joy??? possibly Harmsenson. I tried to find the maker in both Denmark and in Norway but as very well known both countries makers are rather poorly registered, especially regarding Denmark. The search is going on. If I find something, I let you know. Have a nice weekend.
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Hi, Eastern Europe, I was expecting the spoon to originate in Estonia or somewhere around that region.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hello, in my opinion, you can forget Estonia, Latvia, Russia and Lithuania because those countries had clear standardized marks in those days (still have). There is not either any known (or official) marks on the spoon indicating it being silver . Because of that there is a possibility that the spoon isn't silver (plated?). However, that would be a bit strange being a Captain's spoon, but....? If I find something , I let you know, but.....?

It caught my mind that that the maker could be an unregistered maker, so called bönhase. In that case it can be from anywhere. The surname's end ...."sen/son" indicates, as said, Denmark or Norway, but again....?
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Harmsen is apparently also a Dutch surname but it doesn't necessarily mean that the spoon is Dutch. I don't think that the letters after Harmsen mean "son" because it would be strange to use normal "s" in Harmsen and then long "s" in "son". And Harmsen is a patronymic name itself. It could be some kind of short title like "John Smith, Esq."
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, could be. In addition there is a space after the ...sen. The biggest problem is, however, the insufficient marking.
Scotrab
contributor

Post by Scotrab »

Your Captain's Spoon was made in Libau (then Livland, now Liepaja Latvia) by the silversmith Carl David Görtchen (Gärtchen, Gertchen, Gerdchen, Gercken), active in the first half of the 19th century, for the commercial house Jacob Harmsen junior in Libau.

Ref. Erich Seuberlich, Beiträge zur Geschichte der baltischen Goldschmiede. Die Goldschmiede der kleinen Städte,
Sonderabdruck aus den Sitzungsberichten der Gesellschaft für Geschichte und Altertumskunde der Ostseeprovinzen
Russlands aus dem Jahre 1911, W. F. Hacker, Riga, 1913.
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Many thanks once again Scotrab.

Never in a million years would I have ever got anywhere finding that.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Big surprise to me too. Moreover, even more surprising that neither Leistikow nor Vilite or any other source in my possession knows him outside of the sources mentioned by Scotrab. It makes me wonder was he a registered goldsmith or simply only a bönhase after all??? The spoon's marking is completely insufficient as earlier mentioned (unfortunately rather typical for older Latvian objects). The fineness figure is most likely 12 (loth). If the maker is mentioned in the sources mentioned, why isn't he noticed in newer/later published sources ??? An interesting case. Well done Scotrab.
Mind my asking, but how did you manage to find him??
Scotrab
contributor

Post by Scotrab »

Well, first of all I have a couple of other captain's spoons from commercial houses in Libau made by him, among which also two made for Jacob Harmsens Jr. in 1825, with same style and decoration as the spoon of Dartsil.

To find him I had to think a little laterally - and keep digging in the more remote corners of the internet. And by changing his name from *Carl* to *Karl* he is to be found in Vilite, Latvijas Sudrabkali Darbi un Meistaru Zimes, Rundales pils muzejs 1993. He is no. 1024, p. 175, in the Kurzeme Liepaja section, in the correct time period, but Vilite does *not* show his mark.

Vilite quotes also the Seuberlich reference I indicated previously, which can be found on and downloaded from the site of the Estonian National Historical Archive at the University of Tartu (requires some digging...). Furthermore, Vilite gives also the references to the locations of information in the Latvian Historical Archives in Riga (requires even more digging...).

I don't think he was a bönhase: Vilite indicates enough of his life and career to make him appear genuine, to me at least.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thanks Scotrab, here is a "neutral/free" translation of what Vilite writes about him:

(Vilite) #1024. Karls Davids GERTHENS (Karl David Görthchen, Gärtchen, Gertchen, Gerdchen, Gercken)

Son of Jelgava goldsmith Carl (Karl) Heinrich Gerthen (See #717 (no mark either) and #860) and Agate Margareta Nettelhorst around 1802-1807 (?). Studied in Riga in the workshop of Johann Friedrich Dorsch (Johans Fridrihs Doršs 1810, Riga #188). On March 1, 1815, he (Karls Davids) married Sofia, daughter of Karl Samuel Schneider, a merchant from Grobina (town in Courland). Obtained citizenship rights in 1815, 1822, 1833. Mentioned in the lists of carpenters (? more likely craftsmen) of Liepāja (Libau) Trisvienība Church 1810-1846. He paid the church pew in 1819 together with his sister Goliba Tugendreich. Submitted a request for the division of the Nettelhorst inheritance. Died 1846.

The brackets are mine "additions/comments". The numbers refer to Vilite. No, I agree, he was not a "bönhase"!
An interesting case I would say! By the way, I have visited Rundales pils (Rundale castle in Latvia ) museum some years ago. They have a fine silver collection there.
Scotrab
contributor

Post by Scotrab »

Thank you very much! Very helpful.

I have not been to Rundale Castle, unfortunately. I have been to Riga and spent most of the time in the National Archive, the National Library and the Maritime Archive (and on walks in the city to stretch my legs and clear my head). I had arrived there with a long list of questions and points to be cleared and thanks to the very helpful staff everywhere I was able to return with my questions answered.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

You are welcome.
Rundale castle is rather far from Riga. It is located close to the Lithuanian border. Bauska is the nearest town. There are nice pictures and info in internet. Look it up. Rundale is absolutely worth a visit. Next time you visit Latvia take a trip. The castle actually a palace was badly damaged during the Soviet period. Now it is mainly restored.
https://latviainside.com/explore/tours/ ... ltour.html
Have a nice day.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Man žēl
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@silvermistietoe

An interesting link to Geni. Unfortunately Geni is not a particularly reliable source of information because anybody can write anything in it. It can only give you hints. In this case it tells us that the prick-engraved name J. G. Harmsen's wife's surname is as well Harmsen. That is not the case. Jacob was married three times. His first wife's name was Hermine Louise Sorgenfrei (1782-1810). His second wife's Anna Caroline Reich (1793-1820) and last Emilie Henriette Foelsch (1796-1873). A wife didn't adopt her husband's family-/surname in those day's. She kept her maiden name still in late 19th century.
Geni gives automatically a wife her husband's family name. Jacob's mother's name was not either Harmsen but Grundt.

Anyway, what I wrote above has nothing to do with silver marks but is good to know. It is a stupid automated facility in Geni.

Return to “Other Countries”