German? dish

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mglangeveld

German? dish

Post by mglangeveld »

I am looking for more information on this little tastevin or brandybowl (but without handles)
So maybe it should be called something else. It was sold to me as a 19th century replica, but i am not so sure.

It is small and measures ca. 14*10*3cm it`s weight is ca 55gr

It seems German to me but I can`t identify the Hallmarks, besides a Dutch Import Mark
One mark is in a heartshape with initials LB, IB or JB. The other mark is less readable, maybe MN?

Mark JB / IB / LB ? in a heart

MH or MN ?

same with other light

Dutch import mark

AG2012
contributor

Re: German? dish

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Looks like Basel-Landschaft coat of arms to me.
Let`s wait for more opinions.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Baselstab (staff of Basel), was originally the staff used by the Bishops of Basel.
There is Basel town mark with the staff facing right and letter B.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Indeed it could be Swiss, city of Basel. See source; Marc Rosenberg Der Goldschmiede Merkzeichen IV. Band/Ausland und Byzanz Berlin 1928-Schweiz- Basel page 514 Beschauzeichen. Number 8787 comes close.
The script-letter I is not a Dutch import mark but a duty mark.
The script-letter I used 1906-1953; Duty mark for unguaranteed standard of fineness new silver objects of national origin. This mark was used on all new Netherlands silver objects below legal standard of fineness, those with non-precious metal additions, and new heavily silver plated objects, as long as the average precious metal content after melting with the base metal was at least 250/1000. It was also struck on rejected objects which had been submitted at lowest legal standard of fineness. In that case the maker had to choose between destruction or unguaranteed marking. This mark was sometimes mistakenly used on old and foreign objects and in 1927 also used on objects of old national origin. Valid from 1906 till 1953.
For Dutch hallmarks see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Peter.
mglangeveld

Post by mglangeveld »

Thanks so much for your replies!
Basel it is!
Now the search for the silversmith MH continues, if i ever come up with a name i`ll post it here
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi
this MH mark is from Martin Huber, Basel. Born 1636, Master 1659, died 1676. His widow continued the business until 1682.
Nice find!
Jörg

Source: Weltliches Silber I.
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

It is unusual that the bowl does not have two handles. Are there any traces that these handles once existed?

Often these bowls were also gilded. Are there traces of gilding?
mglangeveld

Post by mglangeveld »

Hi,

Nice to have the name of the maker! Thanks for looking that up.

Three are no residues or markings present that indicate the présence of any handles in the past.

At first sight i did not see any traces of gilding, but when i took a closer look with a magnifying glass i indeed noticed traces of a lemon yellow gilding in recesses.
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

mglangeveld wrote:
At first sight i did not see any traces of gilding, but when i took a closer look with a magnifying glass i indeed noticed traces of a lemon yellow gilding in recesses.
I thank You for this informations.

I know the author of the book "Basler Goldschmiedekunst: Meister und Marken - 1267 bis heute"
There are some marks and informations about the maker.

Return to “Other Countries”