Are these stamps too faded to interpret?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bagobeano

Are these stamps too faded to interpret?

Post by bagobeano »

Hej,

I bought this table lamp in a Swedish auction. The seller said there were no stamps, however they tested it and said it was silver.

After carefully inspecting, I found at least three tiny stamps. The first one on the left I believe is an anchor. The one in the middle looks like a lion. The one on the right appears to be the makers mark. My wife thinks I am seeing things.

What do you see? Any info on the dates, assay, confirming that it is British sterling etc are appreciated.

Hälsning from Sweden,
Erik

These are probably the best pictures I can take using the micro lens on my camera. The stamps are tiny and smudged/faded...

https://imgur.com/gallery/jJJUhj3

https://imgur.com/gallery/d7hcA6F
bagobeano

Re: Are these stamps too faded to interpret?

Post by bagobeano »

Can't edit my first post and not sure if you can see the pictures. I try again in my reply...

The tiny stamps are on the base at the bottom right

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum, a candle stick, converted into a electrical table light? And perhaps Italian?

Peter.
bagobeano

Post by bagobeano »

Thanks for the thoughts Peter! I suppose this means you don't see the anchor or lion when zooming in on the pics?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Erik,
Yes, it could be an anchor but I believe it not to be for Birmingham, could be fantasy/pseudo marks. The style of the lamp base with the little putti pulling at garlands, for me points to Germany or Italy, likely one of a pair of table lights. If we know the silver standard/fineness it could tell us more.

Peter.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, it is possible to see a maybe anchor mark, or a large lower case "e". I am with Peter though that the candle stick does not look to have a full set of Birmingham hallmarks on. It might be possible to improve the clarity of the marks with a tooth brush and warm washing up water. That is what I would have done if it was a spoon. I do understand that there is an electrical connection with your item though!

Fishless
bagobeano

Post by bagobeano »

Appreciate the replies! I've just spent some time reading up on the pseudo stamps. Fascinating.

I'll keep trying to get better images of the stamps and check out Italian/German lamps. I'll update this if I find out anything new.

Cheers, Erik

Return to “Other Countries”