Naples spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

Naples spoon

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening
Another one of today's find. Also thought it was silver plated. After cleaning it had a Naples mark on it. I am not certain of the maker. It looks something like PRETA. Any help will be welcome.

Groete
Jannie

JanGroen
contributor

Re: Naples spoon

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening. Is silver from this area and period not well known? Can't seem to find much information online or on this site.

Groete
Jannie
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Yes, is Salvatore Preta
Best regards
Amena
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Furthermore, it can be said that the assayer can be Paolo de Blasio or Gennaro Mannara.
In fact, it is not clear from the photo whether the bar on the N is straight or wavy.
Best
Amena
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

amena wrote:Furthermore, it can be said that the assayer can be Paolo de Blasio or Gennaro Mannara.
In fact, it is not clear from the photo whether the bar on the N is straight or wavy.
Best
Amena
Thank you for helping me pinning it down. I will check what the bar through N is doing and update

Groete
Jannie
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

amena wrote:Furthermore, it can be said that the assayer can be Paolo de Blasio or Gennaro Mannara.
Best
Amena
It is the wavy bar going through the N

Groete
Jannie
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I opt for wavy line.
Although I cannot say I have seen many Naples marks, the logic is as follows: if the only difference was wavy vs. straight line, one would expect the utmost care to punch adequate line to make the difference. Therefore, this is wavy line.
Regards
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

AG2012 wrote:I opt for wavy line.
Although I cannot say I have seen many Naples marks, the logic is as follows: if the only difference was wavy vs. straight line, one would expect the utmost care to punch adequate line to make the difference. Therefore, this is wavy line.
Regards
So few examples to compare the assayer with. Can't find much about maker too. But now at least we know the maker was working after 1832.
Still not bad for a spoon I got as silver plated.
Groete
Jannie

Return to “Other Countries”