Hopeful search for a maker ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
emptguy

Hopeful search for a maker ID

Post by emptguy »

Hello forum,

I recently purchased this item at an online auction. It was listed as a Dutch silver snuff box and is approximately 8cm wide. Despite these two images showing a gold tint, it is silver in colour. That's just the artificial light effect.

Top: Image and Underside: Image

Just below the central figure on the underside is the very rubbed mark which I am trying to identify. I have taken a couple of pictures with light from different angles to get the best definition I can and joined the two images together for ease of comparison.

This is the mark in the same orientation as the embossed image on the main body of the box:

and this is the same image flipped 180 degrees in case this is the correct orientation:

For reference I can't find any other marks at all, no duty or import marks.

As always I hope your combined expertise and experience might help me out.

Many thanks,

Ian T
oel
co-admin

Re: Hopeful search for a maker ID

Post by oel »

Hi Ian,
Samson & Delilah and Samson fights the lion
If Dutch silver we should expect to find a silver hallmark, and if 19th century after 1813, a least one Dutch sword mark for small items or a full set of Dutch hallmarks being; Minerva head or assay office mark, standard mark(lion) and year letter. If 18th century at least maker's mark and town mark. Please check for other marks.

Peter.
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

Peter,

Thank you for this. I have been over the thing several times and can find nothing. However I am satisfied it is silver. The Dutch attribution was by the auction house.

That's all I have I'm afraid. I was hoping if anyone could identify the mark I posted it might help with my research.

Best Regards,

Ian T
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Looks like Austria-Hungary remark (Repunzierung) introduced 1806 as acknowledgement of receipt of paid taxes.
Example with letter H for Graz assay office.
Yours should be letter D for Lemberg (Lviv) in Galizien.
As suggested by Peter,search for more marks, and inspect if silversmithing technique is really that old. Also, reconsider the provenance and origin of the item.
Regards
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Great work Ag 2012, I believe you cracked it.

Best wishes,

Peter
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

Thank you AG.

I have been over that thing with a fine tooth comb metaphorically speaking. Unless there's something I am missing completely then there's definitely no other marks on it. However your suggestion looks very promising and gives me another avenue of research to follow.

Thank you and thank you Peter for your help.

If I find anything I will post an update here.

Best Regards once again,

Ian T

Return to “Other Countries”