VN Maker on Austrian Spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
PrissyJane

VN Maker on Austrian Spoons

Post by PrissyJane »

Hullo. I have recently acquired 6 .750 teaspoons from Austria-Hungary. They are interesting to me because of the reversal of the monogram and the maker’s mark - The monogram is on the back of the handle and the mark is on the front; I believe these to be of a later year than would be usual for setting the table “upside down”

As well, I am not able to identify the maker. The marks are filled with some sort of black gunk that is very difficult to remove - like baked-on grease from a deep fryer, honestly. I am hesitant to really scrub with a degreaser or the like - any suggestions for cleaning? I believe the maker is either Vincenz Neginik or Victor Nuber. Because of the intertwined Gothic monogram, I lean more towards Neginik, as I have found other monograms in the same style that are attributed to him.

In the attached photos, the marks are the best I have without deep, intensive cleaning. The assay letter on the Diana head is a C.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks!

AG2012
contributor

Re: VN Maker on Austrian Spoons

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
C stands for Prague assay office; makers are not well documented, at least not known to me.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Jane
mark may be after 1866.
As mark not in Viennese silber,1781-1866 ,Waltraud Neuwirth.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Jane
Or may not be Vienna -Austrian.
Regards Guido.

Return to “Other Countries”