Chatelaine with unknown marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
oel
co-admin

Chatelaine with unknown marks

Post by oel »

This chatelaine with fob seal and pocket watch key.
Friends of mine ask me if I could provide them with further information about the marks to figure them out. Twice a double headed eagle (in contour) with a maker's mark(?) in between. My first impression (German) pseudo marks? However I am in doubt.
All information is welcome. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Peter.
Traintime
contributor

Re: Chatelaine with unknown marks

Post by Traintime »

Shield contained within double headed eagle would seem to point to Lubeck? An old thread listing some known Lubeck marks:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18465&p=41739&hili ... ca8#p41739
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Thanks, the old thread to me is unreadable, missing images etc. To my knowledge the town mark of Lubeck guild period 18-19the century; eagle double/single headed but always in a circular frame. The eagle mark on the chatelaine are in contour.

Best,

Peter.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

No intent to be argumentative, but just fascinated by this Mark. Could it be the initials began in semi-gothic form, such that g?? might read "gfs" (gothic h and f are similar styles to start, but can be confused/obscured with damage or wear). That said, the official Lubeck guild marks end circa 1871, but Warden/Master/Maker GFS is alive up to 1918. Might he have continued to practice with an un-official mark for a few years? The pronounced tail of the eagle seems less like the pseudos we might see from Hanau etc., and more like something that might have been generated in Lubeck itself with the intent of being rather recognizable. I include this wiki on Lubeck heraldry to show how they emphasized that tail: https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldryw ... tle=Lübeck
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

No your comments are more than welcome. Hopefully Theodrich, AG2012 or others can help us out.

Peter.

Return to “Other Countries”