trefid spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

trefid spoon

Post by legrandmogol »

I don't mean to keep putting everything in the Dutch silver section but usually, my only lead has me lean this way. Anyway I recently acquired a beautiful old trefid spoon that is only marked with a makers mark which looks like a JR combined. It has what looks like a mirrored cipher engraved on the bowl. The rattail is also very tall. The best I can come up with is from my book on Frisian silver which has a similar but not the same mark for Joost Willems Rijsbeeck. I have since read that Jan Schipper believes that simple R mark in the book is not actually his mark. If anyone recognizes the mark or style of the spoon I would much appreciate it. I'm not holding my breath as I know these one mark pieces are difficult to identify

oel
co-admin

Re: trefid spoon

Post by oel »

The trefid spoon; maker's mark JR in monogram/conjoined or stylized letter R(?). The spoon style and engraved decoration, it appears to be North German/Nordic. Certainly not Joost Willems Rijsbeeck nor Jacobus(Harmens) Raapsvelt.

Gratitude; Jan Schipper
http://www.zilverstudie.nl
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thanks, Peter, I didn't think so either but it was all I could think of. I don't think I've seen a Friesian trefid spoon before, at least not from the 17 century. This spoon will just end up with the other pieces of unknown origin I have. Maybe one day.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

A shot in the dark!
Check Jesper Hansen Rust in Odense, Denmark 1679-1723
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The unknown maker's mark to compare.

Jesper Hansen Rust, maker's mark Odense Denmark 1679-1723 as shown by 2 auction sites;
Unless he used another mark in a circular frame I have doubt.

Peter.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Jesper Rust used two marks. Unfortunately I am unable to show the other mark, but it is JR like this mark in a round shield without a year. Please see Danske Sølv Mærker Chr. A. Bøje: Provinsmestre Odense #2638 on page 237. In the text it is mentioned that Rust also made spoons among other objects.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Than it might be a possible match. Cheers.

Peter.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes and thanks, I said in the beginning that is "a shot in dark" in other words a possible match!
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Hi, just seeing this, It looks like a good match to me. I'll see if I can find anything else on my own but this is probably the maker. Thank you so much. Just when I had little hope of finding anything.

Return to “Other Countries”