Nasal Insufflator in Shagreen Silver Case Hallmark Identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mplusignan

Nasal Insufflator in Shagreen Silver Case Hallmark Identification

Post by mplusignan »

Hello everyone,

The last bit of assistance I received on the old 18th-century syringe was very helpful. I've come back seeking further assistance in another medical device requiring hallmark identification.

I believe this item to be 18th-century; a shagreen and silver case containing a silver-topped hand-cut glass bottle and a heavy silver syringe.

The glass stopper is fixed so I cannot be sure about the contents. Whilst it would do for a perfume bottle, the typical applicator would have been a dropper and the perfume containers of the day were more ornate than this relatively austere affair. Nor am I aware of a syringe ever having been used to apply perfume. Similarly shaped syringes have been used to administer medications in a clinical setting and I believe this set may have been used as a nasal insufflator.

The solution from the bottle would be titrated into the syringe which is very well suited for spraying into the nostrils. Possibilities for pharmacologically active ingredients might include vasoconstricting agents for the relief of nasal congestion or sinusitis, ammonia or astringent compounds by way of the medical application of smelling salts, or even opiates for the relief of … almost anything.

The letters "PA" are stamped on the inside the silver base of the etui. Any ideas as far as hallmark identification, origin, and time?

Many thanks!

amena
contributor

Re: Nasal Insufflator in Shagreen Silver Case Hallmark Identification

Post by amena »

Hi
Interesting and mysterious item. I look forward to find out the solution of the mistery.
As for the fixed glass stopper, I got good results with a drop of WD 40 or Svitol.
Best regards
Amena

Return to “Other Countries”