Lacquered Box With Sterling Inset Made in Italy

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverly

Lacquered Box With Sterling Inset Made in Italy

Post by silverly »

This small box measures about 3 1/2" X 2 3/4" x 1 1/2" or 9cm X 7cm X 3 1/2cm. The sterling inset is lightly marked. The Italy stamp looks like 8??????MC. I am hoping someone is familiar with this product, company and etc. and is willing to share. Thank you in advance.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Lacquered Box With Sterling Inset Made in Italy

Post by dognose »

Hi Silverly,

I hope this does not disappoint.

What you have is a resin base covered with a layer of silver. To identify such pieces and so that they are not to be confused with solid silver items, as they do contain a full set of Italian marks, the Italian government required some extra marks to be struck. These extra marks are a 'R' within a square, this stands for 'Riempito' (filled), and also a set of figures that indicate the amount of silver applied, in this case 1 to 2 grams.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
This piece was created in a resin then covered with 1 to 2 grams of 925 standard silver as shown by 1 ÷ 2

Regards
silverly

Post by silverly »

The silver quantity was definitely an unknown and being resin based is not surprising, along the lines of so many weighted items in which the silver is not far from being a foil. I do appreciate receiving these details. Thank you both

Return to “Other Countries”