Silver Spoon Trademark ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Spooned

Silver Spoon Trademark ID

Post by Spooned »

I have a set of twelve of these spoons and I've been trying to find the origin of the mark for quite some time. One of the issues is that I'm not sure if the initials are ILS, ILF, JLS, or JLF or something else altogether different.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joerg
contributor

Re: Silver Spoon Trademark ID

Post by Joerg »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I did not find the maker.
However, the spoons look southern German or Swiss. From the syle, the marking and the two stars they are similar to spoons from the Zürich area from 1835 to approximately 1860.
Are there any stories running in your family where they are from or other additional informations which could help?
Kind regards
Jörg
Spooned

Post by Spooned »

Thanks for the response and info.
This set and a few other pieces were actually some of the first silver I bought when I was in high school in 1971 from a classified ad. I have no other information about the set and there are no markings on the presentation case. It could have been a custom set?

This fork set is one of the other pieces I bought at that time from the same person, it has no markings but I think the handles tested as silver/coin silver. I'm just starting to dig out all the silver I have so I can ID it all.
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

Aarau (Swiss)
J L Schoechlin
Spooned

Post by Spooned »

Theoderich wrote:Aarau (Swiss)
J L Schoechlin
Thanks, that helps but it seems to be an obscure name and I can't find anything in a search about the maker. Do you have any more info?
To add more to the mystery, I dug out two serving spoons from my collection with the same design as the teaspoons but from two different makers!

Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Please keep in mind to open a new topic if you post a different mark.
However, the bottom spoon has the same maker and makers mark, JLS, so also J.L.Schoechlin as Theo pointed out.
The other is from the still existing Swiss maker Jezler in Schaffhausen, Switzerland. Just search Jezler in the forum.
J. Fischer is a retailer.
On the same pattern for the spoon, this design "Baguette" was and is very common and made by many makers. So it is easy to find similar or identical items from different makers.
Regards
Jörg

Return to “Other Countries”