Please, help me identify the master and years old of tea caddy

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Elena Russ

Please, help me identify the master and years old of tea caddy

Post by Elena Russ »

Hello, dear friends!

I need your help again! I got a wonderful silver tea caddy (weight 430 g). I am absolutely sure it is from Holland. Everything says about it (and technique of decoration and marks). But I cannot find these marks (RA, pA?) in the catalog of Dutch silversmiths marks. Please, help me identify the master and years old of item. And I have one more question: if the left mark is the mark of silversmith, what does the mark RA on the right mean? I meet this for the first time.

Thank you!
oel
co-admin

Re: Please, help me identify the master and years old of tea caddy

Post by oel »

Hi Elena, certainly nice tea caddy with some little issue's. For the mark p AV "AuslandsVerkehr" see import marks Austria-Hungary 1891-1901, P=Pest.
https://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html
Maker's mark or importer's mark RA. Caddy could be Belgian, German, made late 19th century.
Believe it not to be a Dutch maker's mark.

Peter
Elena Russ

Re: Please, help me identify the master and years old of tea caddy

Post by Elena Russ »

Dear Peter, good evening!

I am very glad to see you! You have been helping me for many years! Thank you very much! Your answer is unexpected for me. I did not see the letters AV on the mark, and the hexagonal frame, typical for Dutch, confused me absolutely ))). Now it's all clear! The item was imported to Austria-Hungary from 1872 to 1902 and was remarked in the Pest (letter P to the left of AV).

Thanks again!

Return to “Other Countries”