A question about Italian silver hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverBuggy

A question about Italian silver hallmarks

Post by SilverBuggy »

I think I bought some Italian silver faltware. I saw the first mark "15 VC", checked silvercollection.it and found out they were made by DITTA SAMBONET who was active between 1935 and 1971. The date explains why there is a fasces between "15" and "VC". However, there is also a second mark in which a fasces or axe sits between the letters "G" and "S". And I have found more cases of the second mark than the first one. Does anyone happen to know something about the second mark? Thanks!

amena
contributor

Re: A question about Italian silver hallmarks

Post by amena »

I suppose it is the trademark, with the initials of Gianguido Sambonet, but I have no proof of that.
Best
Amena
SilverBuggy

Post by SilverBuggy »

Oh, gosh. Thanks! I felt so stupid.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I found some other clues on the Internet about it.

The beginnings ( of the Sambonet factory) date back to the end of the 1700s, when Giuseppe Sambonet, a nobleman from Vercelli, skilled goldsmith and silversmith, was entrusted with the restoration of precious sacred objects kept in the cathedral of Vercelli. In 1856 his son Giuseppe, a graduate of Fine Arts, obtained the Master Goldsmith's patent and on May 15 he founded the Giuseppe Sambonet company, depositing the stamp with the initials "GS" at the Turin mint: a famous brand destined to become a symbol of the table. of prestige.

In 1900 he earned the title of Official Supplier of many noble families including the Duchess of Genoa and the Count of Turin. In 1932 (probably the son Guido) he created the first plant on an industrial scale in Italy, capable of combining the production of solid silver cutlery with a production in silverplated cutlery

Than the initials of your mark are probably from Guido Sambonet (1896- 1973), son of Giuseppe and father of Gianguido.
Best
Amena
SilverBuggy

Post by SilverBuggy »

Thanks a lot!

Return to “Other Countries”