18th C. Frisian Ceremonial Cup?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

18th C. Frisian Ceremonial Cup?

Post by Aguest »

This could be an example of Holland silver during the Napoleonic Occupation (1807-1812) because I think the bird with outstretched wings might be the city mark for Deventer, but there is no Cartouche :::: Is it an older city mark for Deventer? :::: The maker's mark seems to be [W.S.P] but there is another hallmark long that rim that looks like "VW" or something. ::: Are these maker's marks original Holland marks or has this piece been retailed by an American silversmith who did retail other objects whose name is "William Smith Pelletreau" and he was a partner c 1815 with Stephen Van Wyck in New York City NY as PELLETREAU & VAN WYCK. :::: Could those hallmarks be WSP and SVW for the partnership of these two American silversmiths? :::

Aguest
contributor

Re: 18th C. Frisian Ceremonial Cup?

Post by Aguest »

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

One face appears to be male and one appears to be female so this might have a ceremonial purpose for a wedding. :::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

If you search for "Silver Holy Water Bucket" you will come up with very similar shaped objects with a swing handle. ::::

This might be a Silver Holy Water Bucket from either Holland or Italy. :::: I keep seeing Italian examples that are similar. ::::
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi
It could be the Palermo eagle imprinted only partially.
This type of high-winged eagle was used from 1715 to 1826 and possibly beyond. Most of the time it has its head turned to the left, sometimes to the right, often it is crowned, sometimes not.
For comparison, I put a Palermo hallmark from 1806 under yours.
In this case, obviously, the other mark would be S.M and certainly not W.S.
Often, in Palermo silverware there is also the date. Try looking for it.
Best
Amena
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Would [S.M} be the Maker's Mark or the mark of the " "Console dell'Arte " (assayer mark)". ::: The Year Hallmark might be the one that is so worn it is extremely difficult to figure out. ::: I think the "Eagle" and the "Year Mark" are on the swinging handle, and the Maker's Mark and the Assayer Mark are both punched along the rim. ::::

Return to “Other Countries”