PJP - Unknown Hallmark, need ID?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AnnieMee77

PJP - Unknown Hallmark, need ID?

Post by AnnieMee77 »

I've had this antique Match Safe for many years. Only found out recently what it was. Found a similar one on an auction site that was (helpfully) engraved with the year 1848. It had the same makers mark on the bottom: PJP.

I found PJP mentioned twice in your forums and although some people apparently had some success discovering what PJP stood for, they didn't bother to share what they'd learned, which was disappointing.

PJP might be Swedish, German or Polish because one of the posts in this forum mentioned an old snuff box that was marked PJP and 12L (12 Loth.) One post thought it was Birmingham. Thank you for any assistance.

AG2012
contributor

Re: PJP - Unknown Hallmark, need ID?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It is Scandinavian 'Hovedvansaeg' vinaigrette/container.
'Hovedvansaeg' literally means 'head-water egg' and is a pocket container for aromatic liquid or salts. A Scandinavian young man would indicate his intentions by presenting one of these little 'hovedvansaegs' to his beloved.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Scandinavian for sure. :::: Wouldn't the triple-stamp maker's mark indicate Provincial Denmark? If I had to start searching for the maker, I would start with Denmark :::
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

no match in Denmark provinsial - ie no match of this mark.
There are 2 in Sønderjylland with initials PIP one in Tønder and one in Åbenrå
The Tønder smith mark is the one looking most like yours. But absolutely a different mark.
In case your hovedvandsæg is contribuet to Tønder, one would say that your hovedvandsæg is proberly by him, and mark could be added.
However as there is no origin the person who made this could as well be a norwegian or a northern Germany smith. IE in Slesvig Holstein.

Peter jansen Petersen born 1813 master Tønder 7/3-1842 ---- 1863 he is registred as a poor man. in 1855 he deals in plated silver.

The not so likely in Åbenrå is Peter Johannsen Petersen born 1805 master 10/5-1833 he dies 1873 ....married 1834
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Found him!
PJP is from Norway. He is Pet(t)er Johan(nes) Peersen from Flekkefjord. He was born 13.1.1841 in Fjeldså and died 1914. His sons Johan T. Peersen and Thv. M. F. Peersen took over the business. Petter was the younger brother to goldsmith Jacob Pe(de)rsen also active in Flekkefjord . In 1996 the company celebrated their 130 years anniversary and is still in business. Moreover, since the maker is Norwegian it is not a "hovedvandsæg" but a "luktevannshus" i.e. a vinaigrette. ;-)

Happy New Year everyone
Qrt.S
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Happy New Year Qrt.S

AnnieMee77

Post by AnnieMee77 »

I am very impressed by the knowledge and ready assistance on this forum. Thank you for researching this for me.

Happy New Year to you all.

Return to “Other Countries”