Silver Bust - Need help with hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
laura9797

Silver Bust - Need help with hallmarks

Post by laura9797 »

Here is a bust of Marie Antoinette that appears to be silver and possible dore bronze? I was wonder if anyone recognizes the silver marks? I thought I might find them under Italian, French or Finnish and so far nothing.   Also inscribed LUCA CASTO di RENZO.  It measures 11.75" in height.
Thank you for any assistance. 

Image Image Image Image
Hose_dk
contributor

Re: Silver Bust - Need help with hallmarks

Post by Hose_dk »

I think that city mark is the crown and lion?
The hall mark that is most out of focus on your pictures.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Marie Antoinette was a popular character and many small bonze and silver busts were made in 19th century and even later.
They are known to have been imported to Britain without maker`s marks, some circulated the market with pseudo marks.
In this case better close up of all marks are needed.

Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Isn't Di Renzo a Switzerland name? ::: Something strikes me as Swiss here, it's just a feeling. :::
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The "inscription" seems to point toward Italy, possibly northern regions--broke up components for searching....so, wild guess of possible Italian pseudo-marks tied into Lombardy-Venetia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom ... dy–Venetia

The crown style might fit here in relationship to Austro-Hungarian influence, but too far removed from the types found in the Hanau pseudos, and maybe a bit too clean in comparison. Of what of Marie's own origins...Austrian?
laura9797

Post by laura9797 »

Here is another photo of the mark
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Part of the garland is missing and two marks are placed within (inside) the contour of missing wreath.
Why would one place marks on unfinished piece before it was completed with garland ?
I opt for pseudo marks because they do not resemble anything we have seen so far.
Besides, items like this one are sometimes a marriage assembled from various objects, difficult to judge based on images, though.
Regards

Return to “Other Countries”