Italian Silver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Jamenzo

Italian Silver

Post by Jamenzo »

Hello, I believe I have an Italian canteen of cutlery with the markings below. Would anyone recognise these hallmarks

Jamenzo

Re: Italian Silver

Post by Jamenzo »

Please find attached further images of the canteen of cutlery

amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Anatolio Giacinto Henin, born in Paris on June 3, 1831, takes over the father's workshop in 1865 and maintains the good production level of his father Luigi. He proceeds to reconstitute the punch with his initials AH and to register the company in his own name. The factory in via Soncino Merati 13 is still active today, at the address in piazza Borromeo 10.
Jamenzo

Post by Jamenzo »

amena wrote:Anatolio Giacinto Henin, born in Paris on June 3, 1831, takes over the father's workshop in 1865 and maintains the good production level of his father Luigi. He proceeds to reconstitute the punch with his initials AH and to register the company in his own name. The factory in via Soncino Merati 13 is still active today, at the address in piazza Borromeo 10.
Wow! Thank you so so much for this information, that’s incredibly kind. Do you know if it is solid silver or silver plated
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Jamenzo

Post by Jamenzo »

Thank you very much. I absolutely love the knife, fork & spoon hallmark. It does say on top of the canteen that it’s from Pre-Unification of Italy but I wasn’t sure if the pieces were original to its canteen
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

It is a present to John Sutton, from Leeds (U.K.) who was director of the
Stabilimento Filatura Canapa alla Canonica, just a few Km from my home town.
Here an article translated by google

Canonica spinning plant
A group of nobles and wealthy bourgeois from Bologna, including the former minister Marco Minghetti, the count Zucchini, the banker Raffaele Rizzoli, gathered in the Società Anonima Bolognese, promotes the construction of a large and modern factory for the spinning of hemp near Casalecchio di Reno, in Canonica, incorporating industrial buildings once used as a paper mill and oil refinery.

Before starting the plant, the manager visits various types of spinning mills in Europe, noting the superiority of the English machines over the French ones. He then installs English plants on the Rhine canal, with the technical advice of British factory leaders.

The Casalecchio spinning mill can be considered emblematic of the industrial development line carried out in Bologna in recent years, of that type of "natural industry", based on raw materials produced on site, which many economic operators have been advocating for some time.

In 1857 the factory will count about 150 workers, of whom about fifty boys between 13 and 15 years old, engaged for 13 hours a day. In 1861 almost half of the 300 employees will be women. At the end of the century the Canonica canapificio will have over 500 workers and will be among the first in Italy in terms of size, machinery and financial resources.

It will be equipped with new machines and innovative procedures and will be gradually expanded, especially after its acquisition in 1906 by the Linificio e Canapificio Nazionale.
Jamenzo

Post by Jamenzo »

amena wrote:It is a present to John Sutton, from Leeds (U.K.) who was director of the
Stabilimento Filatura Canapa alla Canonica, just a few Km from my home town.
Here an article translated by google

Canonica spinning plant
A group of nobles and wealthy bourgeois from Bologna, including the former minister Marco Minghetti, the count Zucchini, the banker Raffaele Rizzoli, gathered in the Società Anonima Bolognese, promotes the construction of a large and modern factory for the spinning of hemp near Casalecchio di Reno, in Canonica, incorporating industrial buildings once used as a paper mill and oil refinery.

Before starting the plant, the manager visits various types of spinning mills in Europe, noting the superiority of the English machines over the French ones. He then installs English plants on the Rhine canal, with the technical advice of British factory leaders.

The Casalecchio spinning mill can be considered emblematic of the industrial development line carried out in Bologna in recent years, of that type of "natural industry", based on raw materials produced on site, which many economic operators have been advocating for some time.

In 1857 the factory will count about 150 workers, of whom about fifty boys between 13 and 15 years old, engaged for 13 hours a day. In 1861 almost half of the 300 employees will be women. At the end of the century the Canonica canapificio will have over 500 workers and will be among the first in Italy in terms of size, machinery and financial resources.

It will be equipped with new machines and innovative procedures and will be gradually expanded, especially after its acquisition in 1906 by the Linificio e Canapificio Nazionale.
Your knowledge and research is incredible Amena. Thank you so much for helping me with this information. I bought this on eBay a few months ago after it was listed a few times with no takers
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Lucky man!!
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

amena wrote:Lucky man!!
agree
very interesting finding
Jamenzo

Post by Jamenzo »

Italiansilver wrote:
amena wrote:Lucky man!!
agree
very interesting finding
Wow, exciting! Thank you both very much for this.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
warncoort

Post by warncoort »

Amena,
John Sutton is a distant relative who does not appear on census returns of 1851,1861 and 1871.My thought is that he may have lived and worked in Italy during that time,is there any way to find out if this is correct?
Regards,
Eric
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I'm sorry but I have no news other than those I have already published. Evidently, since the box was donated in 1871, John Sutton worked as a plant manager in previous years, but I don't know how many.
It appears that some machinery was purchased by the Fairbairn firm of Leeds in the early 1850s, and it may be that Mr. Sutton, from Leeds, came to Italy in those years to put the machines into operation.
These news are published by the Municipality of Casalecchio di Reno.
https://www.comune.casalecchio.bo.it/se ... nto=pagina
Perhaps you could reach out to them to find out if they have any other unpublished news.
simple@comune.casalecchio.bo.it
Regards
Amena

Return to “Other Countries”