Probably French Silver Coffee Pot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dw171

Probably French Silver Coffee Pot

Post by dw171 »

I need help identifying the hallmarks on the coffee pot. I believe its French, there's other very similar designed pieces that are French. I don't recognize the hallmarks, one being a flower, the other an odd symbol. They could possibly be a city assay mark. There's not much readily available info online about 18th century French silver. Its about 9.5" tall, the base has been repaired. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Probably French Silver Coffee Pot

Post by legrandmogol »

The mark is 18th century Venice but I don't think this is a genuine 18th-century article. It's probably genuinely silver but the marks are probably pseudo marks designed to deceive. I would wait for a second opinion before committing to it. Beautiful piece regardless
dw171

Post by dw171 »

Thanks, that at least gives me a place to start looking.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I agree with Legrandmogol's opinion, the mark on the right simulates that of Venice in the 18th century, but the coffee pot does not seem at all from that period.
Is there no other mark?
Can you show us a detail of the repair?
Are you sure it's solid silver?
Best regards
Amena
dw171

Post by dw171 »

Here's a picture of the repair, probably explains the screw. There are no other marks anywhere. I'm positive its silver, but haven't tested it. Its lightweight with numerous small dents, easy to bend, all typical of silver.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

I take it the mark has come up in past threads but lacks a descriptive name for searches. Can we call this ["Dove with Halo" in circular cartouche]?? Anything better? (It can be found searching "dove mark" or "Ventian", and then checking each thread.)
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

You were probably looking for this post.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52410&hilit=CROFF
But your mark doesn't look like the one in this post, be it real or fantasy. it is similar to that of Venice, which represents the Lion of San Marco. Here are some examples. (Note that the last two ones are suspect).
The repair seems to have been done with tin, is it ?
Usually I always check if the object is really solid silver, just to remove any doubts.
I apologize for my poor knowledge of English, but what exactly does it mean "explain the screw" ?
Best regards
Amena
dw171

Post by dw171 »

I'm not sure what the repair is made of. It does test as silver, but I don't know what purity. There's a screw protruding from base that's not apparent from the pictures. I've never seen a coffee pot with a screw sticking out so why I said the repair probably explains the screw in base.

Return to “Other Countries”