Travel candlesticks from Sicily, Catania?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zilverik
contributor

Travel candlesticks from Sicily, Catania?

Post by zilverik »

Hi,

These travel candlesticks are removable. Together they are easy to travel with and apart there is two of them. There are a lot of marks. I searched the forum and I found one of the marks in a post from Anema. There is a photo of marks from Sicily, Catania with the same PPA -mark as I found on these travel candlesticks. If it is Catania, who could be the maker? And what could be the year/period of the fabrication?
Regards,
zilverik

Because inypic doesn't work anymore, I tried 'Postimage' and I hope that works.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2wxgl6s5o/1f64c91e/

zilverik
contributor

Re: Travel candlesticks from Sicily, Catania?

Post by zilverik »

Hi,

My reference should not be Anema (sorry), but Amena.

See:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53955&p=171857&hili ... mo#p171857

The only other reference I could find is a mark PPA mentioned by Rosenberg, number 7356: Catania (elephant with CTR), Paulus Aversa who worked around 1634. I can’t believe these travelcandlesticks are made in that period. In my opinion they are early to mid 18e century, not early 17e century. Could be Catania family thought.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Zilverik
As for your travel candlesticks, what I can tell you is that they are from Catania dating back to 1813.
The mark indicated by the red arrow is the mark of the consul IC or IG, which I cannot trace the name of.
The letters PPA belong to the silversmith who could be Pietro Paolo Aversa.
I must admit that Sicily is not my strongest point and that I don't have much documentation in particular about Catania.
Best
Amena
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Hi Amena,

Thank you very much. Convincing that it is Catania 1813. I had the hope that the candlesticks were from an earlier date, but 1813 makes sense because of the form. Happy that the maker (family of the other PPA) is known now.

Kind regards,

zilverik
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Yes, I found confirmation that the maker is Pietro Paolo Aversa in V. Donaver- R. Dabbene, ‘Argenti italiani dell’ 800’, Vol.2, page 73, marknumber 127: Aversa Pietro Paolo, Catania ...1804-1820...

Return to “Other Countries”